Local Area Connection Properties + OK = System Errors

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by DarrenDavisLeeSome, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Been wondering why these dang system errors keep popping up:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7006
    Date: 4/28/2009
    Time: 9:21:36 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: So And So
    Description:
    The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Type with the following error:
    Access is denied.

But, I endeavored to discover why:

InternetProp.JPG

You see, I like to uninstall then reinstall my NIC drivers after I install ESS (old versions, new version, dunt matter). Reason being that I like to see the little Internet Connection Icon in the tool tray. For some reason, ESS always kept me from seeing it after ESS was installed. After I uninstalled then reinstalled the NIC drivers I would have to go to Network Connections to configure for the tooltray Icon. After checking the box I would hit OK and the snapshot above is what transpires. I actually repeated going into the Internet Properties several times, clicking OK and would continue to get the Windows Logo warning regardless if I made any config changes or not.

Afterwards (from doing what I just described above) I went to the Event/System logs and saw all these:

SysErrors.JPG

.........everytime I did the Internet Properties + OK

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Re: Internet Properties + OK = System Errors

Oh dear...I made a terrible mistake.

I botched up the Thread Topic: it should be Local Area Connection Properties...not Internet Properties.

3. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I also forgot to include: when I click on "Continue" in the Windows Logo warning popup, I get the error. If I click on "STOP Installation" then no error.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmm, have you cleaned your cookies lately.:cautious:

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Not sure what you mean about cleaning my cookies. Coming from trjam it must not be a nice thing :'(

If you're talking about emptying my IE cache...I do that frequently.

I don't understand why ESET needs to reinstall the Miniport Firewall again. The only thing I can figger is even though I uninstall the NIC, XP must be hanging on to everything, including the ESET Miniport Firewall files. When I go back to LAC Properties (after the reinstallation) and click OK ESET's trying to write over READ ONLY files and that is what is generating the errors.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well you are a bright dude. I challenge you to figure the possible solution and corrective action needed to this one by tommorow morning.

Personally, I think you can do it. Clocks running. Tick-tock

7. DarrenDavisLeeSome

I'm not that bright.

I've never experienced anything like this before. The only thing I can figger is to click the "STOP installation" button in the Windows Logo warning popup.

That's how smart I am.

I really don't need to go into the LAC Properties all that much anyways, if at all. I just wanted to enable seeing the tooltray Icon.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Do tell, hmm, I would have thought differently. But you still could be right. Eset will see it soon and hopefully add to this.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

seriously Darren, keep working with Eset to solve issues. You are a valued asset, just change your presentation a little. And you are smart.

Gotta go, just saw some red log in.:cool:

10. DarrenDavisLeeSome

All I wanted to do is see the Local Area Connection tooltray Icon, like this:

LACtooltrayIcon.JPG

And the Internet Connection tooltray Icon like this:

ICtooltrayIcon.JPG ....if I don't uninstall/reinstall the NIC, I don't get this at all because of ESS.

Me? A valued asset for ESET? How come they aint paying me? I could use the money. I'm damn near broke.

Uh huh...right. ;)

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I've never seen that in Windows XP before (having 2 connected icons), even before I used ESET. o_O

12. DarrenDavisLeeSome

The Internet Connection Properties has the available option to show it just like the Local Area Connection Properties:

Props.JPG

Problem is ESS (even 3.0.xxx) blocks the Internet Connection Properties Shortcut from showing up in the Network Connections folder. The only way that I know of to get the Internet Connection Properties Shortcut back in the Network Connections folder is to uninstall then reinstall the NIC.

Keep in mind you might only see the Internet Connection Properties Shortcut if you're on a LAN because in actuality it's a shortcut to whatever Internet Sharing Gateway (usually it's the last IP in the LAN) the Router assigns. SIOW, if your hooked straight up to a modem or otherwise directly connected to the Internet you MTL will not see it.

13. Jager

Jager Registered Member

I'd get those messages when I installed the drivers + wireless monitoring software from Linksys for my PCI wireless card off the disc that came with it.
    For some reason I think I may have got them also when or after installing WinPcap, I can't remember why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.