LNS vs Outpost Pro 2.5

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by DonKid, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi,

Can anybody say the differences between them ? I use OP, and I´d like to know about tests between them, etc.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

2. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

Don`t know about comparison tests, but as for firewall leaktests, as far as I can tell, the only firewall that can pass all the tests here:
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/
    is LnS 2.05sp2 with the latest beta driver.
    As with any software, its subjective as to which one you choose.
    I am happy with LnS on my system.

Cheers,

Trev.
    Firewall:
    LooknStop Firewall ... Sygate Personal Firewall (Free)
    Anti-trojan:
    TDS-3 ... A² (Personal & Free)
    Anti-Spyware:
    AdAware SE ... Spybot S&D 1.3 ... HijackThis! ... SpywareBlaster ... DialerWatcher (Dial up guard)
    Misc:
    Proxomitron (web filter) ... Firefox Browser ... SysMetrix (desktop clock/meters) ... Rainlender (desktop calender)

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Outpost has a much wider range of features, but I found it to be a serious drag on my CPU. Equally important is the fact that LNS has much better support.

4. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Thanks a lot for all help.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

5. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

you can say that again! ;)
    if some ideas were developed, no firewall could ever surpass LnS!

6. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

So, today OP is better than LnS ?

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I wouldn't say that Outhouse is better. It depends on the needs of each individual. If I was running a mainframe with Win32 emulation, then sure, maybe Outpost would be acceptable to me. But my main concern is outbound control and good support responsiveness, and I can clearly see that Frederic has the same concerns. I see him improving LNS in terms of outbound control, and I see him respond to my (ever-stupid) email messages within a day each time. So... He gets my vote.

LNS isn't perfect, by a long shot. I feel that it needs to rise above the current limit of 128 for its stateful packet inspection feature (128 concurrent connection limit), and and application filtering feature as well (128 max applications). Some of us have quite a few applications installed, and when many of them launch others... they add up.

I am quite seriously in the midst of a turkey-day drunk, so all apologies for this post, which I'm sure I will be quite embarassed about later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.