.LNK file crash etc test

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CloneRanger, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Harmless test ;)

First off Avira wanted to block the DL etc, so i disabled it whilst testing. Tried it, after allowing,

pg.gif pg2.gif

Nothing bad happened ! & that's after i undid the .Lnk protection in HMP, Plus i don't have ANY updates from MS on this XP/SP2 comp either.

What did happen, which surprised me, & initially i thought it might be due to the test, but it wasn't, was that when i disabled/enabled the HMP fix my Complete desktop dissapeared for a few seconds :eek: When it returned several of my Apps icons in the taskbar had dissapeared, including Avira'a ! They returned though within about five seconds, & Process Explorer showed avguard.exe still active during this Event. Wierd, but "maybe" that's how the HMP works ?

Wonder if this test "might" work on your comp ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting that something like this still works. Thanks for the share.

Avast reported it as well, so I had to disable it. For some strange reason, I can only open file location on it. Maybe it's SRP or something else on my system.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

It's a shame process Guard's development wasn't continued! I've seen it stop a lot of malware that many current products have failed to stop. I still have a license for the full version.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know of any malware stopped by PG and Not by more modern HIPS like OA, CFP, etc. Infact it,s a miscoception.

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Can you list some of the malware and some of the many products?

thanks,

-rich

6. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

When your desktop disappeared and if there is any opened folder, the latter would disappear as well because EXPLORER.exe just had crashed. Then EXPLORER.exe would restart in a snap, and those icons on your taskbar which disappeared would reappear. So, it's not HMP. The test had just crashed your Explorer.

I did the test, when I executed the shortcut icon or rightclick on that icon to select for e.g "properties" after which copy-paste it to another folder then opening that folder, explorer.exe would crashed.

It's harmless but very annoying once I did the above and I'm trying to open the folder, Explorer would crash. Luckily I was able to delete the file without Explorer crashing.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  7. CloneRanger

@ trismegistos

I appreciate you posting about this, Thanks :thumb:

I guess as it happened so quickly to me i was unable to monitor it properly !

8. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

Why didn't it do anything on my system? when i executed it all my control panel items got displayed, copied n pasted in another folder, same behavior no crashes... am i missing something here?

9. CloneRanger

Yeah, a crash :D

Don't know why you escaped, but if you find out let us know :thumb:

10. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

lol... i've posted over at the page.. hopefully the author will reply and maybe i can find out why.

11. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Ya as soon as I clicked to DL the file my firewall BEEPED and warned me of a suspicious file... (My firewall has smart filtering enabled and because I CLICKED THE LINK TO DL,it allowed it (However,I could have added that to the blocked events and then if i clicked that link nothing would happen))

All the file did when i ran it was open Control panel..

12. CloneRanger

Good man :thumb:

Really ! Wonder why ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.