Little yellow boxes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by craigbass76, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigbass76

craigbass76 Registered Member

What are the text boxes called that pop up when you hold your mouse over a button. THey tell you what the button does. I looked in help under dialogue boxes and pop up, but found nothing. Is there a way to shut them off? I have a program that locks up, and it only does it when one of those boxes pops up, so when I work, I have to make sure the mouse never hovers over a button. I have Win98.

2. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

I think they are called tooltips, and I found this here:
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/tipsandtricks/windows95_98_me_xp.php

ToolTips
    To disable ToolTips in Windows, open the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. Double-click UserPreferencemask and change its value to 3E 00 00 00. Chose the Registry Editor and restart Windows.

Almost forgot. Back up your registry before making any changes. In this case export the value in that key so you can restore it if necessary.

3. craigbass76

I changed the registry. I might have shut tooltips off, but it didn't rid me of the yellow buggers. A search in help for tool tips turns up nothing. Are the boxes called something else?

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

5. craigbass76

Yep. I don't know what's going on. I'm using a program called acid to make multitrack recording files. When I get too many tracks, my PC locks up, usually right after I get one of those boxes. I just got a half gig of ram, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem (it's an older program)

Now I'm wondering if the soundcard only plays so many channels before saying "Whoah" but another recording program I use won't lock up with that many tracks.

:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.