List (products that watch for data leaks)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cd08, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cd08

cd08 Registered Member

I'm looking for programs like Trend Micro's Identity/Privacy protection that comes with the security suite and Nortons Identity/Privacy protection that comes with its suite.

And other programs that warn you if a string of information is being touched or sent out.

For example, if I enter "1234-5678-9876-5432" as a CC number.

If a website, program, or other try to touch, read, write, or send it out the program will warn me and give me allow or deny options.

Please list programs like that here.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Zone Alarm has it in it in anything above the Free Firewall. its called Identity Lock.

3. cd08

cd08 Registered Member

I'm looking for individual programs.

That work exactly like "Identity Lock" does.

I'm using kaspersky and want a program like that in addition to it for extra security.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Excuse me if I am mistaken, but does ZA not detect encrypted data leaking (in case of CC numbers being leaked but encrypted)? Also, can these other privacy programs detect if encrypted info is leaving your machine? I have heard that some of the advanced malware can steal CC numbers by encrypting the info leaving.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Isn't this all a lost cause. If you already have something that is on your computer looking for credit card information, its game over. Try using a live cd to do all your banking instead.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Sure, there's an excellent utility called Brain (for most users, it's at beta stage, some desperate, hopeless cases are still stuck with alpha versions). :p

In short:

- don't store such info in your browser or some third party utilities
    - don't give out such information unless you made sure the site is legit
    - don't use untrusted computers (cyber cafee etc.) for such transactions

There's no replacement for the above and IMHO all the applications that claim something else are plain snake oil and make false sense of security. ;)

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have googled all day looking for that Brain utility. I simply cannot find it anywhere. Do you have a working copy of Brain you could share? I can have you email it to me, umm, I have to remember my email addy first tho.

On second thought, nevermind. If I ignore the problem hard enough, I won't even need the Brain at all.

Thanks for the info. ;)

As for the OP's question, you are meaning if your 'bank PIN' is being sent out, you want to know about that? Am I not correct in that only a packet sniffer would be what you want? To examine every packet for such data, providing it is in readable form.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.