List of Free Antivirus (Realtime Scan + Threat Removal + English Interface)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, only lavasoft tested only once (red) as I recall, so I do not know whether it is a big plus (only one VB100 miss, because the speed of fixing the missed entries is tested in VB RAP) or a a reduction on the statistical correctness. anyone knows?

Also take a look at Fortinet, Googgle for early RAP's and notice the increase in both first strke and second test detection

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

When they get licensed an engine (Vipre in this case), do they also get the same signatures as Vipre or each one does its own? I guess the first one, right?

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It uses the same definitions. This is the usual situation for when av software uses another company's scan engine. Sometimes diffences occure due to an older version of the scan engine being used - but as far as I can tell, Ad-Aware is using the latest Vipre scan engine.

It's worth noting that the latest version of Ad-Aware adds Windows 8 compatibility. Also, if another antivirus is detected during installation an on-deman only version is installed, so you can have it installed alongside your exisitng av without any conflicts - not sure which other avs it detects though.
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32963-ad-aware-104-released/

4. Fuzzfas

Thanks Roger.:thumb:

I will try it sooner or later.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sometimes 3rd party engine users even have better detection because they can get all the signatures from the engine maker as well as make their own (via the same engine or via their second layer engine). It doesn't happen often but i've seen it in the past when F-Secure was still using Kaspersky.

6. tipo

tipo Registered Member

i tested it and gave me a free unlimited license.all i had to do is register on the ashampoo website.
    ashampoo uses emsisoft and ikarus engines which are (IMO) pretty good. :thumb:

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does Ad-Aware still use VIPRE for their free and Personal programs and Gdata for the Pro?

8. roger_m

I'm not too sure about the latest version. If you ask at the Lavasoft's forum you should get an answer.

9. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

VIPRE for Free Antivirus+, Personal Security, Pro Security and G DATA for Total Security.

And looks like BitDefender for their Business Security as well, you can tell just by looking at the screenshots.

10. acr1965

ok thanks...I knew there was some gdata/vipre affiliation of some sort...do you know if lavasoft's total security is what is tested in the vb100 rap tests?

11. Fuzzfas

I tried Lavasoft. Saying that the on demand scan is slow is an understatement. And this on a SATA3 SSD.

1.png

Avast and Twister finish in less than half that time.

7 False positives (it beat Twister!), CPU spiked up to 16% of CPU on some webpages (Twister syndrome).

Uninstalling...

12. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

sorry last time i read about some fishy antivirus

also like lavasoft bought some unknown company can anyone confirm which antivirus are safe lot of rough antivirus now days

13. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

i like this new Ad-Aware. It,s light,works fine here

First full scan 3 hours 37 minutes
    Second full scan 10 minutes
    Quick scan 2 seconds

14. roger_m

But, future scans should be much quicker see jack76's post.

I haven't done enought testing yet and have not had any problems with false positives.

I have noticed CPU getting a bit high at times - but only very briefly. But thankfully, so far I have not seen any noticeable slowdowns as a result. If I do I will uninstall it right away - I'll go for an fast unprotected system over a slower protected one any day. Or perhaps more to the point, if I remove it I will look for something lighter.

15. roger_m

16. acr1965

Which free av's, if any, make you remove Malwarebytes? I'm not looking for an A vs. B comparison, just wanting to know which free antivirus programs force removal of Malwarebytes.

thanks

17. roger_m

Actually I can't answer your question. However, if you do have to uninstall Malwarebytes, you can install it again as soon as the install of the antivirus is complete.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Avira asks you to remove it, but you can ignore the prompt with confidence.

19. Fuzzfas

Probably placebo effect:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/performance-tests

I forgot to check it out, but it should have a lot of i/o reads too, since it's Vipre.

Anyway, maybe i will run it too, since some strange things happen when i have Avast installed. I am not sure it's Avast related, but i am getting suspicious.

20. roger_m

No, it should be due it caching previously scanned files so they are not scanned again..

21. Fuzzfas

My mistake in not being clear. I didn't mean about the on-demand scan, i meant for the realtime one. CPU-wise it's not light. Avast runs circles around it. In AV-Comparatives it's the slowest in file-copying, but could be that it needed to cache first.

I will install it again anyway, i am curious about HDD usage.

EDIT: Or maybe i won't, i just remembered the false positives and didn't see a way to report them easily.

22. Fuzzfas

Anyone knows what engine Fortinet Lite uses? Is it any good?

23. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I think it is inhouse, their own engine.

24. roger_m

So far for me it has been very light, but I have only been using it for a few days so far, and actually for the next few days I will be using a different laptop which is running Roboscan instead. So I really do need more time to test it before I can give a considered opinion.

However on the plus side, it really does seem that Lavasoft are really making a big effort to improve Ad-Adware. There are some thoughts on the upcoming Ad-Aware v11 here: http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/...scusses-his-thoughts-on-the-future-of-adaware

One interesting thing is Antivirus Companion which will work alongside existing antivirus software (I guess a bit like the new Kingsoft Antivirus). Ad-Aware already offers this to an extent now - it will not install the on-access protection when it recognizes and existing antivirus is already installed.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lavasoft guys certainly seem to care a lot. I remember not long ago we complained about not getting any popups when Ad-aware Free with AV detected malware. You just got an error from Windows, that file cannot be executed. Then they introduced a baloon popup for detections and now, they use a full fledged detection notification popup. And this happened in like 4 months time or so? It's a big change not many companies do during a single year. If Ad-aware drifted from an excellent anti-spyware product into a mediocre security program, its certainly coming back and it's coming back in a big style. And i can only count that as something good because it gives us, the users more security apps to chose from. And being free it will certainly end up on many computers for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.