Linux’s RPM/deb split could be replaced by Flatpak vs. snap

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, Jun 22, 2016.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Such standards has already been there for a while, and it's .Appimage file. this type of package can run on most linux distros. And, it's portable, contains all the dependencies that are needed to run the package. Better than snap or flatpak IMO.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi oliverjia,

As I understand it, packaging Linux system components and distributing the Linux system is quite different than packaging and distributing Linux applications for which .Appimage format was intended - i.e. two different kinds of things, and therefore intended for different purposes while appearing to "do the same thing" that is not actually the "same thing" to make the distinction between the different methods.

-- Tom

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The difference being that Snap in Ubuntu takes advantage of Apparmor security as Flatpak does via SE Linux in Fedora.

5. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

So could I install Flatpak then install firejail and chrome into Flatpak? I'd be running a sandboxed browser in a sand box in a virtual environment. I've got to read about it again.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Something to give developers more fragmentation and bugs.
    Mrk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.