Linux - Working Graphics Drivers!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yesterday I installed Mint Helena in my VBox vm and found unlike previous installs, after enabling 3d effects in VBox I could actually render effects, so of course this led me to believe that maybe- just maybe - nVidia finally produced a working driver for my dual GeForce 7900 GTX GPU's, so I decided to install a dual boot setup with my current Win 7 install, placing Mint on a separate partition, manually divided with /, swap & /Home partitions, and for the first time placed Grub in the Linux root to keep it separate from Win's bootloader. After installing Mint, launched to Windows and used EasyBCD to create another entry to point to the Linux Grub menu and it works like a charm! :) After letting Update Manager find and install the advanced drivers, I am now able to render 3d effects flawlessly! :thumb: This has been a major stumbling block until now for me using linux on this machine. BTW, I am most impressed with Mint Helena. It is a great looking distro, quite feature-packed by the looks of things, and easy to use. I guess it now goes without saying I have changed my tune about Linux from increasingly negative to a very positive upswing :)

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Blimey, pigs really do fly!

Glad you've found something that works for you and you like. Those that show patience with Linux are usually rewarded in the end.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Indeed, patience is a virtue. I have been complaining of late, especially over the lack of graphics drivers, but I did not want to drop Linux that easily, figuring that sooner or later working drivers would surface forr my cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.