Linux seems great, BUT...

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by bellgamin, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 031

031 Registered Member

Thanks for the information. Have you used both at the same time ? I just want to know whether it has any negative system impact .

2. 031

031 Registered Member

What is your impression on PCLinuxOS ? Share with us ........
    I do not know anything about the package manager of PCLinuxOS but in ubuntu synaptic package manager can download and install hundreds of softwares , and the list is updated regularly. I tried few of them . In my short experience opera is the best web browser (as usual :D ) and vlc is the best video player . Good luck .

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Why don't you like loading up all the libs and stuff ?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just seems like too much disorganized clutter to have both Gnome and KDE on one setup. I did it once with PCLOS, had Gnome, KDE and Xfce all installed, and it just seemed messy, all apps were in all desktops, and so on. It's more a psychological thing than anything else I guess...

5. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree, I am a purist and like to run Gnome apps on my gnome desktop.

6. NGRhodes

You dont specifically need Gnome for GTK apps and KDE for QT apps. QT and GTK apps run fine in Gnome and KDE.

Does the extra admin work required to install/keep up-to date the extra libs worth while the benefits that a non native app gives (how many people use firefox which has its own XULRunner framework) ?

On the psychology front, do you go as far as checking other libraries used by apps and dis guarding the ones that do not use common ones ?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

All this is too much detail for me, sorry.... And at the moment, I'm not running Linux at all, I'm doing Vista x64... For the most part, I have pulled my head out of most of the details nowadays, and go for simplicity... Works for me. ;)

8. NGRhodes

Keredo.

No problems.

BTW, simplicity, is a VERY good reason !

9. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Amorak is great but Exhaile is so good now that the only KDE app I miss is K3b.

10. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I'm the same and I stick to Gnome appliances these days.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

The only thing lacking with Linux burning apps is special options like you find in ImgBurn. Options like perform OPC before burn are not there so you have no choice but to use the default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.