Linux - Questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by moontan, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If you want to believe in the obscurity, ok. But the difference is not as big as you may think, although the focus is a little different. The one big anti-malware feature is diversity = lack of portability. And this is in fact an anti-software capability.
    Mrk

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Can you explain the differences between an attack on desktop OS vs server OS ?

Social Engineering is not exclusive to Desktop OS - it plays a BIG part in the history of hacking - recent and old (before you could even get desktop computers) - Server or Desktop they have the same aim of divulging privileged information, which may be the end goal itself or to use that information to delve deeper.

"Security through obscurity" is an engineering/hacking term to a specific system, it is not about popularity of systems (though an unpopular system is obscure its not what is meant by the term "security through obscurity") and relates to how a hacker can obtain information to try and breaking into a system. Obfuscating code is an example of "security through obscurity". Non-disclosure of discovered vulnerabilities is "security through obscurity", not publishing information about application interfaces to the system is "security through obscurity"
    Fact Ubuntu is not popular compared to Windows provides obscurity, but is not "security through obscurity", full sources are provided, code is not obfuscated, public bug and security trackers are utilised.

Cheers, Nick

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

well,

after a few days everything is running smooth and well.
    i thought i would have more questions but everything was quite easy and painless.

you know, the whole Bodhi Linux minimalistic concept and the beautiful interface?

That was my idea! :D

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I tried Bodhi some time ago and i liked it, but i didn't took the enough time to get used to Enlightenment. I now use Xubuntu, a version of Ubuntu that uses the XFCE desktop environment, that is very light and user friendly:thumb:

5. moontan

i have a security question:

i've read yesterday that once you run an admin command (sudo/root) then the whole machine runs as Admin.
    is that true?

if it is, how do you go back to the 'standard' account?
    just reboot?
    or is there a command to exit admin without having to reboot?

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Courtesy of some linux module.
    "To log out of root, either type "exit" on the command line and press Enter, or just press the Ctrl-D keyboard combination."

7. moontan

tnx m8!

so i gather you are only in 'Admin' mode when the Terminal is open?

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g/sudo.htm

no only at terminal or application for which you use that command for

you cant have entire system running as root unless you login as root which is by default locked in linux and recommended

where in terminal $ sign (dollar symbol) means user

# sign (Hash symbol) means root/admin

to get out

type exit" on the command line and press Enter, or just press the Ctrl-D like @kjdemuth's

said

and when stucked to get out in terminal

CTRL + Z OR C

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

some application need some admin rights to performe like software installation..........etc ........ only at that time you need to give password

10. moontan

tnx folks.

that is very good info and it makes me good in the feeling that Linux is quite secure.

on another note:
    i'm very happy with Bodhi.
    the whole machine feels faster.

i have all the same similar apps i had in Windows 7, yet the image i create with Image for Dos is 1/3 the size of Windows.

just simply awesome! :)

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Your a braver person than me moontan.
    I can't commit myself to running linux exclusively yet.
    Of course I'm just getting my feet wet when it comes to partitioning and running distro's. I only used to install in VM now I'm dual booting. I think its a gateway OS. Next thing I'll be formatting and ditching windows. :p

12. moontan

as long as you got images of Windows saved you can always go back :)

imaging is a life saver when it comes to trying out stuff.
    if i need to run Windows for some reasons i could just restore an image and be back to Windows in minutes.

if your sounds, network and graphic cards are working and you are not tied to any Windows software then you're good to go. :)

when i have times i'll make a video for newcomers to Bodhi.

13. moontan

i found this post on an online page that explains a bit about the security of Linux OSes:
    i thought it was interesting enough to post here.

-http://www.esecurityplanet.com/trends/article.php/3933491/Is-Linux-Really-More-Secure-than-Windows.htm

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.