linux peppermint on a SSD question?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by taleblou, Oct 1, 2018.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I want to install a clean peppermint-9 on my pc which has a 1TB ssd and I was wondering if linux and peppermint has ssd optimizing capability like those of windows 10 to keep ssd working fine and last long. right now on windows 10 I am using using SSD fresh to keep my ssd in top form. So is there anything like that on linux?

Thank in advance for your reply.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Linux kernel has built-in function to do the trim and garbage collection, so your SSD will be more than happy to be paired with Linux. Best to use most recent versions of a Linux distro.

3. taleblou

Thanks. So does peppermint-9 also has this?

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for raising this as a topic. Am also gonna be installing Linux Peppermint on a new SSD.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

It's fairly recent so I think so.

6. taleblou

I read online articles that you have to tweak linux and it does not a good job for ssd life lasting long? So you are sure that I will not reduce the life of my ssd via linux?

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I can't offer any insight into how Linux handles SSDs, but the following article demonstrates that contrary to popular belief, SSDs do not have limited lifespan.
    https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2018/02/07/how-long-do-ssds-really-last/

8. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Some manufactures are offering longer warranty periods on SSD's.
    Larger capacity SSD should last longer than a smaller SSD. Now it's possible SSD could
    fail because of the component itself just like any computer component could fail.

It's always a good idea to backup critical data to an external hard drive.

That said you could take some further steps to optimize your SSD in Linux.
    Just do a search if you haven't already on how to optimize or reduce wear on SSD in Linux.

Again before making any changes make sure you backup your system in case you run into any
    problems and need to restore.

You can also check the website of SSD manufacturer for any firmware update and apply it.

I made a few optimizing changes in Linux Mint and so far haven't had any issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.