Linux on mobile

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by SKA, Nov 5, 2017.

1. SKA

SKA Registered Member

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Each flavor of the OS has its dedicated and optimized use on certain devices. What's the point loading a heavy desktop OS onto a mobile device where many OS features are useless for the certain device?
    It'll be due for failure.

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It's written in the article:

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

But a mobile phone is supposed to be "away from desktop" most of the time. So no point running a heavy OS when you only need a desktop experience occasionally. Plus, real desktop/laptops are dirt cheap these days - you can by a perfectly working HP/DELL/LENOVO laptop with third-gen core i5 and 8GB RAM on ebay for only around $100 and it'll be way more powerful than a smart phone.

5. reasonablePrivacy

I don't think Gnu/Linux desktop OSes are much heavier than Android OS. I would say some Gnu/Linux distros can be a lot lighter than Android OS. It's the same kernel (with some Google patches, but overall they are negligibly changing overall kernel). There is no virtualization. Just add some C/C++ libraries from Gnu & company systems and it's Gnu/Linux. Well, some integration between systems you need to add too. It only needs some more space on flash, but not that much.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

For me, privacy seems the main advantage. Google/Android and Apple are both horrible, in their own ways.

But even with Linux, there's still the bloody black-box radio, which (in almost all phones) isn't isolated from the OS, and can't really be turned off.

7. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Yes and when you add to that the fake cell phone tower exploit, there's no telling what kind of access an adversary has.
    I wouldn't mind betting it makes PC exploits pale to insignificance by comparison.

8. reasonablePrivacy

I wonder is it hard to physically remove GSM antennas.

9. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

If you dont need the phone features you may as well get an android tablet instead, the OS is the same.

10. guest

guest Guest

Samsung's Linux on DeX app enters private beta
    November 9, 2018
    https://www.techspot.com/news/77345-samsung-linux-dex-app-enters-private-beta.html

11. guest

guest Guest

Samsung discontinues ‘Linux on DeX’ program, removing support w/ Android 10
    October 18, 2019
    https://9to5google.com/2019/10/18/s...on-dex-program-removing-support-w-android-10/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.