Linux mint

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well cet your question is the most difficult one when unity comes or gnome 3x on other distro

we all look for same question to answer our-self ie....alternate to our favorite distro some find way in new ubuntu with unity i guess Trespasser and linuxforall sticking with new ubuntu

...... some of us go for kde specially kubuntu like tlu now ocky too i guess

some learn and go for other distro like scientific linux/centos ....like ocky me and Mrkvonic on centos

so moral of story is the only distro is best for you is which you and only you find suitable to your need/hardware

my answer to your question try any of ubuntu/kubuntu/mint/centos all those stable distro and find your way in try or install them in vmware stick with it and learn it for a while if you like it you can always have dual boot with new distro but 1st try everything on vmware it save you from 70% real time problem after that.......... try it again on live cd with on your real hardware installing flash java .........runing sensors checking cpu usage ........etc ................atleast for hour then if all work well sound ......etc........then go for it...............................it save you from 85-90% of having any real problem :D

please check these

running distro in vmware

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSY_qjbIorw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcc_P6DvUU

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

cet is an extremely fast learner, so I am sure any of those stable distros mentioned by mack_guy will be easy - not much of a learning curve either, just small differences in usage.

PS. I see wilbertnl has abandoned Linux Mint Debian. Maybe there are compelling reasons ?

3. mack_guy911

ocky are you using centos 6 as well

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I have still got CentOS 5.6 which I keep updated regularly. It's running on a very low spec and old HP compaq nx 6100 laptop with Pentium M 1.66 GHz processor and 512MB memory. I have never had a problem except that it will not spring to life when the lid is closed. Instead I suspend to ram which is fine.
    However seeing that I now also run Scientific Linux 6.1, I am thinking of putting something else onto that laptop. Pity the video memory is practically non existant.
    Maybe I will just keep CentOS 5.6 as it runs remarkably well on such a low spec laptop.
    Then again maybe try something new like Lubuntu or Xfce, I really don't know yet. :argh:

5. mack_guy911

you can try dual boot with xfce xubuntu also you can increase swap to 1 or 2gb.....it runs pretty well :D i installed it on old pc with 448 ram its corrupted ram but still it work great with docky and mac tweak looks awesome too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.