Linux Mint Cinnamon 1.3 Released: Customizable And Light

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by apathy, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

This is running great on my Netbook!

Courtesy of WebUpd8:

Cinnamon 1.3 has been released today, bringing even more customization options for its users.

Cinnamon Settings has a new look and it now includes all the GNOME Tweak Tool features and more: change GTK theme, cursor and icons, desktop icons, font settings, window settings (including window button order), change the menu text and icon and so on

Also, starting with Cinnamon 1.3, all the panel components are applets so you can easily remove a feature or replace it with a 3rd party applet if you don't like it

Another applets change brings drag and drop support, meaning you can place the applets anywhere you want on the panel. In my test, the workspace switcher, window list and the launcher weren't draggable though, but I could reorder the other applets just fine.

Other changes:

Menu delay option, better menu icon sizes
    improved default theme
    workspace navigation is now possible in scale mode

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Cinnamon can also be run on OpenSuse 12.1.

It doesn't have a version for users with low power netbooks, since it requires the Mutter compositing engine to show up.

But on my dual chip laptop, I've run it in place of GNOME 3. Its customizable and the traditional menu, patterned after the familiar Linux Mint slab menu, is easy to use - immensely gratifying to do old school computing in the new world of GNOME 3.

Programs may either be added to the favorites bar on the left side of the Cinnamon menu as well as added to the Cinnamon panel as program launchers.

It makes GNOME 3 a user-friendly experience. Its what GNOME 3 should have been in the first place.

Basically, Cinnamon is a shell for GNOME 3, just like Unity is a shell for GNOME 3 in Ubuntu, but with a decidedly traditional desktop appearance.

Nothing radical here and Dedeoimedo will agree it gives to people who have given up or stayed away from GNOME 3 due to its inherent complexity and confusing layout a second chance to see it in an entirely new light.

Basically as a shell, it marries the best of the previous GNOME 2 desktop with the powerful new technologies present in GNOME 3 and allows their full use to an extent that wasn't possible before.

There's choice in open source software and this is exactly what one expects from Linux. Power and freedom of choice!

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

4. mack_guy911

Cinnamon 1.3.1 released

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

please check above link for details

5. x942

x942 Guest

Any one else have the entire DE reset after the update? Mine turned into a blank bar with no icons or anything. I had to reinstall it to fix it. It's happened on the 1.2 and 1.3 updates now to me.

6. mack_guy911

what i did was

sudo apt-get upgrade

not update

and then upgrade to 1.3 along with kernel as well i guess dont remember not but

no problem it work fine here after upgrade

same i did for VLC 2 it upgrade vlc from 1.x.x to 2 without any problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.