Linux Mint 18.2 "Red" Sonya - Distro the Destroyer

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

We're opening the week on a happy note. Here's a long, thorough, fairly enthusiastic review of Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya 64-bit Cinnamon edition, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Windows and Linux, covering live testing, installation and post-install use and tweaks, including look & feel, networking support - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, printing, smartphone support - Ubuntu Phone and Windows Phone, multimedia support - HD video and MP3, partitioning, slideshow, package management & updates, applications, resource usage, responsiveness, performance, battery life, suspend & resume, customization, small problems, and more. Lovely jubbly.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-sonya.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Reviews says: "It's not perfect, but it's getting into the territory of old, familiar suave."

Dunno about the "old familiar" part of it as I only began my Linux learning and exploring with Mint a few months ago, but it certainly has been a mostly pleasant experience for this novice refugee from the MS Window 10 realm. Installation of all versions since, including 18.2 Sonya clean with multi-boot, has been a snap without a single glitch. No hardware support problems at all. Even the LAMP installation for my localhost test site required only a few command inputs, although PhpMyAdmin needed a few more.

All things considered, I'd recommend it as a surprisingly straightforward transition for any other long-time Windows users who might be exploring possible alternatives OSes. The hardest part of the transition in my own case wasn't the OS itself. It's finding and familiarizing oneself with application program replacements for things like Intuit financial management. Still working on that.

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I use it on my second-portable machine (even if with XFCE flavor) and I share your good score.

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Running the XFCE DE as well and very pleased with it.
    Sole Linux distro I kept on my PC.

5. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I looked at the pictures.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And did you enjoy them?
    Mrk

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I've just read the Yunit project has finally been backported to Ubuntu 16.04.02 LTS. If you're curious, you can see where er - the desktop interface Canonical delayed and then killed has gone to - when you have time to do a review of it.

Here:

https://yunit.io/yunit-packages-for-ubuntu-16-04-lts-xenial

8. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Regarding the driver manager, I get the exact same screen as yours.
    Should I try to enable the intel micro-code?
    It also says the device is not working, but what is it?

Thanks!

9. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Great review, as always!

Mint and Kubuntu appears to be the new kings.

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Something to do with an Intel processor, if you have one. Doesn't apply to AMD. ;-)

11. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Intel® 64 and IA-32 processors (x86_64 and i686 processors) are capable of field-upgrading their control program microcode as well as parameters for other on-chip subsystems (power management, interconnects, etc). These microcode updates correct processor errata. While most of the microcode updates fix problems that happen extremely rarely, they may also fix some errata that could cause system lockup, memory corruption, or unpredictable system behavior in some cases.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.