Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela - Tight as a tiger

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think I used ntfs with Rufus...

2. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

At -- http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ -- they say :
    Other USB programs agree with you -- fat 32.

Try a DVD you've made in a different computer.

I did another quick search. In addition to my earlier search, I found many unresolved posts. There's fewer posts, in regard to the message you're currently getting, involving a live DVD (fewer complexities). Also in my search, users said although they couldn't get past the error message on their computer they could successfully use the live DVD in, and also install the OS in, a virtual machine. This could be a good measure for you to at least get started using Mint. Sort out the other issues later.

What worked for me (keep in mind, I'm a Linux newbie) --

For live DVDs, in W7, I burned (slow) and verified using the native Windows Disc Image Burner.

For virtual machines (VM), I'm using Virtual Box (by Oracle). If you haven't used it before, it's simple to learn. There's many advantages to using a VM. You'll get the persistence (better, a VM can keep for years ) I assume you're trying for in the live USB, plus cloning capability so you can break a VM while experimenting without worry, plus much more. For me, Mint automatically installed the 'guest additions' (you'll read about them). Debian didn't but are easily added.

Keep trying; you'll get something to work for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.