Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca review - Oops. Nope.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Moar distrology: A review of Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca 64-bit edition with the Cinnamon desktop, tested and installed in a seven-boot configuration with internal and external hard disks, including look & feel, networking - Samba sharing and printing, Wireless, Bluetooth, multimedia - MP3 and Flash, partitioning setup, big problems with package management, updates and Broadcom network, Nvidia drivers setup, applications, system settings, resource usage, desktop customization and many associated problems, timezone problems, other issues and niggles, and more. Take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-rebecca.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Nice review, Mrk.

When you had the Driver Manager open, did you select the bcmwl-kernel-source drivers for your wireless card before re-booting? I ask because in the screenshot "Do not use the device" button was selected.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I did not change anything, so I'd assume whatever was used originally ended up being used. But apparently not.
    Mrk

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Oh I see. That's the trouble with Linux, I still often find anyways, is the polish isn't quite there in some key areas, especially with video drivers in my case. My ageing hardware only likes the legacy Nouveau drivers with most distros I try, including Arch of late.

5. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I don't like the memory leaks in Cinnamon. By the end of the day the memory usage of Cinnamon is higher than Firefox by a large margin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.