linux mint 16 boot loader

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ellison64, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I've installed linux mint on its own partitions (root,swap,home) after watching a tutorial video on dual booting with windows.I used easybcd to add the linux mint dialoge at bootup so I can choose linux or windows.The problem is when I choose to boot linux,it then opens the linux bootloader choices rather than just booting straight to linux.Is there a way to remove that linux dialouge?or is it an inherent part of linux mint?

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

3. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

4. ellison64

I did and it messed up my windows mbr Everytime I booted into windows chkdsk wanted to run with an error that it was unable to This also happened to a colleague at work too.Personally I wouldn't let it mess with windows mbr again,and thats the reason for the manual installation. Easybcd doesn't see the Linux bootloader only the one manually entered otherwise I'd remove it..I have a feeling its inherent in the mint disk setup,but would like confirmation from someone who has installed mint manually too

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AFAIK EasyBCD isn't a bootloader itself, so it needs to chainload a separate bootloader (like GRUB) to load any Linux OS.

6. ellison64

I Googled and found a solution by editing grub timeout from 10 secs to 0 secs in mint.I can now boot straight to Linux desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.