Linux Mint 15 Olivia Xfce - Almost awesome

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Time for another long review of Linux Mint 15 Olivia 64-bit, this time with the Xfce desktop environment, covering live session, installation in a quad-boot setup, and post-install usage, including network connectivity, look & feel, excellent system menu, tabbed file manager, multimedia playback - Flash, MP3, Microsoft Media Server (MMS), applications, package management & updates, system resources, system stability, suspend & resume, printing, plus some less and more serious problems, including a CPU watchdog/kworker bug and missing media plugins, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-olivia-xfce.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Another really in-depth review Mrkvonic.

Currently i find Mint with Mate and Cinnamon my personal favorites.

Too bad this model suffers from CPU overcharge but maybe the next one can prove out to resolve this.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The new "Whisker" menu is the default here - Linux Mint has taken care to see to it that it looks and works exactly like its famous Linux Mint slab menu in GNOME 2x and MATE. If you like that sort of thing and the new MATE-style desktop just works! You would swear you were running MATE but its really XFCE underneath! Another outstanding job by the Linux Mint team! :thumb:

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Swell review, ugly bug for first timers. Xfce is indeed +1. Has more mileage than Mate imo.
    Mint' search is done very well, with stock xfce the need to create a custom 'Catfish' command in Thunar is a bit silly.
    -If this bug scarred your soul, what did last Fedora do? P

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Considering Mrkvonic has never liked XFCE until very recently, this is well-deserved praise - the bug notwithstanding!

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mrk!

So far after a few days running this (x64), it has been an amazingly stable distro on my hardware :) I gave up on Debian Wheezy for various reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.