Linux Lite Is Heavy on Features and Usability

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

From my limited distro hopping experience, I have found 32 bit to be a bit more problem free than 64 bit, though the mint & Lite x64 on my one rig have performed very well.

Good luck :) :thumb:

2. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Well you guys are right. my issue was with flash. Since Chrome has flash built in I do not see the freeze-frame issue on streaming video. I only have these issues on firefox and other browsers.

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Already tried that ;)

in fact I think I may have just understood why I never get to install drivers or detect them under any linux distros or why HD streams and HD trailers always look blocky and pixely.

I always run them under virtual box under windows 7....

Would this be the reason why? Maybe I need to install the linux fully on a separate hdd and boot off it and really update and install linux.

4. wat0114

Do you have the VBox Guest additions installed? I thought that would afford 3D graphics.

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Yes.

From the POV of OS, virtual machine is entirely different machine than yours, every hardware is virtualized, even guest additions wouldn't make it that much better.

6. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

never installed guest addons on virtual box, how does one enable this?

I guess I have never played around with the settings too much.. will have a check.

Yes I agree also I think I have been going about it in the wrong fashion if I install linux distros on a separate hdd and install fully on drive it will then detect my graphics/sound card and find drivers and updates properly for it, until now all I did was run them virtually.... so it felt all processed and sluggish!

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just taking a look at the live dvd now. It seems much like Mint Xfce basically, just a bit lighter and even more minimalistic and it has everything out of the box, including ms fonts. Kinda nicely done.... :)

Edit: A few things don't work. I can't adjust my speaker volume for one thing... seems broken. Also Display selection and resolution adjustment is somewhat flaky. I think I'd have to stick with Mint Xfce if I'm going minimal.... Not a bad effort though.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. wat0114

The volume control adjustment is flaky from the Panel. What I found works better is: Menu->Multimedia->PulseAudio Volume Control...maybe you tried that already?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, not yet. I'll try that next time I load it up, thanks... :)

10. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I'm considering replacing WinXP (soon-to-be unsupported) on a 12-year old PC with Linux Lite. This PC has a 2.0GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB Matrox video (AGP), a CD-RW and USB 2.0 ports. Would LL run well on this box or should I look elsewhere (such as Peppermint 4)?

Thanks,
    Cruise

-----
    PS. While I'm very Windows literate, I've never used any Linux distro, so please take that into consideration when replying. ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Having a P4 and 1GB, an XFCE distro should run flawless.
    No performance issues on an even older PentiumM/1GB laptop here, running current Fedora+XFCE.
    I see no reason to limit yourself to specific 'optimized/lean' distros as your hardware is more than sufficient to run an XFCE or Mate desktop.
    For many Window users, a linux distribution/distro like Linux Mint XFCE is a nice/user-friendly starter link.
    Linux Mint offers handy tools, an informative and (linux-)newbie friendly forum, WSF member 'Mrkvonic' writes Linux distro reviews regularly, here one on Mint 'Olivia' XFCE.

-protip; On Dedoimedo.com, read the 'GParted' article on partitioning so you're ahead of the learning curve when installing a distro.

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Cruise,

You can download the Live USB/CD ISO file at the LinuxLite download link to give it a try without installing it on your system.

-- Tom

13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi Tom,

Will the 32-bit ISO fit on a CD (isn't 735MB seems too much for a CD to hold)? o_O

Cruise

14. lotuseclat79

Hi Cruise,

It would be a better fit for a USB (at least 2G). I agree that 735MB might be a bit too much or right on the limit. If you can use a USB flash drive, don't forget to reset your BIOS boot order. The limit for CDs is often stated at 700MB, but that is not totally true as I have burned CDs greater than 700MB - unfortunately, I forget how much greater.

At Wikipedia, the CD-ROM capacity is stated as:
    Capacity 194 MiB (8 cm), 650–900 MiB (12 cm)

The mebibyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information. The binary prefix mebi means 220; therefore 1 mebibyte is 1048576 bytes. The unit symbol for the mebibyte is MiB.

So, I would definitely give it a try, as 735MB looks to be well within the range of a 12cm CD-ROM. My Memorex CD-RW discs measure at about 11.6 cm which should easily handle the 735MB.

-- Tom

15. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Downloaded the 32-bit version and Nero says it won't fit on a CD... :(

16. lotuseclat79

That may be due to using Nero more so than the capacity of a CD.

If you have at least one USB port to boot from and can change the boot order in your BIOS accordingly to prefer it first, can you try burning the 32-bit ISO to a USB?

-- Tom

17. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Tom, it's not Nero - PowerISO tells me the same thing.

Well, I don't have a spare USB stick but I do have 50 blank CDs, so I have now downloaded 4 other distros to checkout:
    Bodhi, Elementary, Peppermint and Puppy - each of which seem light enough for my old PC (and each will fit on a CD). ;)

Cruise

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.