Linux gaming on the rise: EA arrives on Ubuntu and Valve plans Steam port

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by guest, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Source.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Great! I'm sure that when big game publishers support linux that linux will become more popular, Competition is good.

The future looks to be interesting...

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd love to see Steam on Linux, I'd be bouncing between OS's a lot less, assuming the performance/framerate is equal or greater.

4. It won't be. Linux GPU drivers have been an absolute mess since KMS was introduced.

(Longer than that actually, but at at least they worked better way back when... When they weren't throwing X into infinite loops anyway. Remind me again why I think Linux should embrace vendor drivers.)

5. x942

x942 Guest

Steam will be on linux. Steam has already announced porting over to linux and has hired dev's to help with it. I doubt they will release it without it being as good as the Mac version at least.

6. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

This is good to hear. It's the main reason I don't stick with Linux.

7. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

wonder why is this ?
    Linux doesn't have a Large number of users

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

This can only be a good thing. This is one of the reasons I dont use linux much eiether. The only machine I have running linux atm is my teamspeak server.

If enough game companies support linux then the major oems should start offering linux on more of their machines.

9. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Even if Steam is released to linux/gnu, you still can´t play your games which are based on DirectX api. Only games based on OpenGL api will be playable. Besides, I´m also doubtful regarding the quality of the GPU drivers from both the red and green camp, specially when it comes to games on linux/gnu.

/C.

10. s23

s23 Registered Member

Maybe because Linux is free and with the money you save from the Windows license you can buy games from them?

11. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Very cool. The only problem is that even if Steam is ported over, the games need to be ported over too. Frankly, the only reason I don't use Linux as my primary OS is that it doesn't support the games I want to play. At the very least, it doesn't support them adequately enough. (Some people claim they can run them; but most have problems.)

Personally, dual-booting gets on my nerves. I don't know why. I just don't like to do it. :p That's why I only have Windows installed on this computer, but I dream for the day when I can switch full-time to Debian or something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.