Linux Foundation struggles with Microsoft's Secure Boot signing service

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Your right. But Win RT hardware is specifically designed for Win RT (just like iPads and iOS), where as x86/x64 is a general purpose hardware specification.

Cheers, Nick

2. NGRhodes

Quite possible that future systems, other than Windows 8 RT could adopt secure boot, could. But not read/heard of any examples in passing. IMHO Apple would be a suitable candidate for their iOS devices (iPad, iPhone etc) and their preference for a closed ecosystem.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Yeah. And I just can't see Apple being kindly enough to subsidize some Secure Boot signing service like Microsoft is doing right now.

4. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I don't see that as a real issue. This can hardly be the reason Linux won't go mainstream. Fine by me- I like feeling 31337 with my vanilla Ubuntu installation... lol

Actually now that I know I can disable it, I kind of like the feature. I recently learned of the dancing pigs problem, this feature definitely helps for those users.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Consider Ubuntu; it has become the most popular distribution. I think a large part of that has been due to its installer, Wubi. It's ridiculously easy to just double click and be done - any level of user can basically do this.

Ease of installation is a major factor in OS adoption, and this affects the ease of installation. Ubuntu instructions now have to say: "Disable SecureBoot - see OEM instructions on how to do so", which leaves the user having to deal with the installation process via OEM settings that may be different per OEM. On top of that it's asking them to disable a security feature, which users may be wary to do.

It's just one more step, and on its own it's not a big deal. But it definitely adds to the "Linux is for people who are good with computers" mentality when you've got to dig around your system just to set it up.

6. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I guess. As a new user I found the need to research every problem daunting. I still think this ranks low on the list of things keeping Linux from going mainstream. Drivers are much higher on the list- they require lots of digging around your system and internet to find solutions (if a solution exists at all).

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm not saying if Linux were easy to install everyone would be running it. But I think a major issue with any OS adoption rate is how easy it is to install. Just as being able to set it up easily (ie: with proper drivers, etc) is another major component.

8. NGRhodes

Most people don't even know they can install a different OS, alone how to. Most just keep what it comes with.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I though they've already worked on a solution for 12.10 and 12.04.2?

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Secure Boot bootloader for Linux.

-- Tom

11. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Nice find lotuseclat79!
    :thumb:

12. YES, very nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.