Linux Families(?)j, need some help

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by guest 125884, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest 125884

guest 125884 Guest

So I have been experimenting with Linux for about 1-2 years now. So far, I have always stayed within the Debian family(?). The Distro's I have used are Ubuntu, Mint, JoliOS/JoliCloud, and TAILS. Recently I have been wanting to branch out and try some different distros. I have been searching for some articles or reviews which explain the main differences and pros and cons of the different families(?) of Linux (i.e. Debian, Red Hat, SLS/Slackware/SUSE, Knoppix, Arch, Enoch/Gentoo, etc). However, I haven't been able to find any info because I don't know the correct Linux terminology for these 'parent distros' or 'Linux Families.' Can someone help Linux newbie out and tell me what I should be searching for?

Thanks

edit: p.s. if you have any specific articles to point to, that would be appreciated as well.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This might help you a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions. If you look around for answers in individual distro forums, you might run into too much fan-talk. The biggest difference between the well known "general purpose" distros like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and such is primarily package managers and .rpm, .deb, and such. On the link I provided, be aware some of those are long dead. But clicking on the major distro links will provide you with ample information on a particular distro.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good deal, glad I helped a little :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.