Linux distro with preconfigured desktop look as Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Cerxes, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Well the title says it all. A friend of mine was asking about some Linux distro that have the same desktop (icons, menubar, wallpaper etc.) as OS X preconfigured. So if someone has some suggestion... :)

Thanks in advance! /C.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't think there is one preconfigured. dreamlinux looks a bit like macosx and macpup lol. mac4lin is the best though with this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/global_menu, but you have to do that yourself i think, maybe someone made a preconfigured iso o_O it wouldn't be too difficult to do. more likely someone probably made a script or a deb you can run to configure everything.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i posted my linux desktop on a mac forum screenshot thread once lol. i was quite shocked, no one was really rude about it, i didn't expect that as they're supposed to be such fanboys.

Mac_Screenshot.png.jpg

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

7. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@all: Thanks all for your suggestions! I will pass it on to my friend who´s a sucker for Mac, but don´t want to pay for it (he´s such a greedy bastard :D).

@nickr, iceni60: Thanks for the suggestion of mac4lin which made me interested of tweaking my laptop (OpenSolaris), since it only requires gtk+ for been able to apply.

@iceni60: That´s a nice looking clone, mac4lin? Which base distro did you use?

Thanks! /C.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's ubuntu from november last year, i used mac4lin and added the global menu too, that's the bit that put's 'Thunar file edit view etc' on the panel in the screenshot. since my screenshot mac4lin has probably improved a lot.

ubuntu is a good distro to use just because so many people use it so there's more written about it and more support.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/global_menu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=916410

edit, actually Linux Mint might be better to use, it's ubuntu with added extras/improvements - media codecs, configuration apps etc. it still uses the same repos as ubuntu and you can follow all the ubuntu howtos too, it's just a few added extras added to the default ubuntu.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Can also be suggested eAR OS and Elive, both superb.

Rgds

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The latest GOS 3 Gadgets desktop is pretty much an OSX clone. It looks great and performs great. Its still a little flakey in certain areas but overall its good enough for everyday use.

12. faterider

faterider Registered Member

Wow, thanks, some nice suggestions here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.