Linux disc image restore failed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dghundt, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dghundt

dghundt Registered Member

I placed the Acronis True Image Home10 CD into my linux box and booted it up. I successfully backed up a disc image of my linux hard disk drive onto a usb drive formatted with ntfs. I then tried to restore the disc image onto an identical pc (i bought two at the same time). The restore was successful, but when I tried to boot up from the restored hard drive, all I see is the word GRUB _

Has anyone restored a linux drive image? I appreciate your help.

2. ClassicQ

ClassicQ Guest

You need to repair the grub bootloader, insert the installation disc {linux distro} and repair the bootloader and all will be well. ;)

3. dghundt

dghundt Registered Member

Thanks for your reply!

1. I am actually using the linux box as a phone server - Asterisk@home 2.7
    which uses centos 4.3. The asterisk@home install disc is just a single iso cd, so I can't use that. I have centos 4.3 discs which I have never used before, how would I use the discs to repair the grub bootloader?

2. I repeated the restore, and it happened again. How do I prevent this in the first place?

thanks!

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Whenever you save a partition using ATI 9 & 10, the Master Boot Record (MBR) is also saved. GRUB replaces the MBR as the boot loader. When you restore, do NOT restore the MBR. It will effectively kill the GRUB.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.