linux and my experience so far

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If that's the case then I do have an alternative to check out at least in KDE. Thanks Johnny.... Apparently KMail has changed then. Worth a try.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

No, Kmail can handle HTML, no problem, it's just disabled by default due to security considerations.

3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You and the OP come into a Linux forum and start bashing Linux and you want to accuse ME of starting a Win vs Linux war?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Lewmur, NOBODY here has bashed linux. Relax a little dude.... :)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, thanks tlu, I loaded KDE Four Live and took a better look at KMail, and you are absolutely right, it does handle html. I will be trying it out tonight or tomorrow night when I have some time.

6. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Yeah. Sure.

"I have been thru them all (distros), over a period of more than 2 years now, and there is only 1 I would even consider using on a daily basis."

And it is you who got in a twist because I used this :rolleyes: icon. Why don't you try relaxing.

BTW, I find the appellation "dude" to be offensive. Was that deliberate?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I can see you're just out to argue. Sorry, but I'll pass.

Peace Lewmur....

8. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Seems the only reason you find it "idiotic" and that you'd "rather keep it pure" is so you can continue arguing that Linux won't do what you want it to do.

Here is a link to a screenshot of Outlook running on my Mint desktop to prove it can be done.

9. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I love it!! You make accusations against me and when I defend myself its because I'm "just out to argue!!!" Priceless!:argh:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Im not bashing linux.
    Im just sharing my experience so far.
    nothing is perfect.
    at this time windows for me and i dont always have time to try to sort out issues i have with linux.
    I do think linux is a better system overall and hope to use it more when i get time to.
    I have work and other responabilities.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

isnt that virtualbox running windows xp and then you installed outlook? its definatly not using wine and its a verybad edit to make it look like its running using wine...

on another note i dont know why people prefer outlook over thunderbird or evolution. then again i now only use webmail. one less thing to worry about.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am not bashing Linux either, just stating some facts about my own experience and preferences. Indeed, nothing is perfect, and to pretend anything is, is misguided. I prefer Win myself, but I love trying out all the distros and experimenting. I am glad there are choices, and glad Linux is out there. If I ever find what I want in Linux, then who knows, perhaps I will make the switch also. But for now, it's mostly experimentation for entertainment. It never has to be one against the other either. No need to defend either Linux or Win. They can both co-exist peacefully, each with it's own merits, in the same world.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I heard that Outlook 2007 was a bit problematic in WINE, but I don't know that for sure. I'm sure it can be done with some version and in some way. I prefer keeping Win stuff in Win, and Linux in Linux. Just the same as I prefer to keep KDE apps in KDE and not mix with Gnome apps. Maybe that's anal, who knows.

I like Outook cause I think it's the best. TBird is "OK". Evolution does funky stuff with quoted fonts and is generally less desirable to me.

I have considered going the webmail route also, but after a decade of using Outlook, it's probably just too ingrained in me.

I am going to seriously try out KMail with html tonight or tomorrow though. If that works out, then that's one less thing to attract me back to Win.

14. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Of course its Vbox. I had no intent of indicating otherwise. And I didn't "edit" anything. That is an unedited screenshot of Outlook running under Vbox in seamless mode with dual monitors.

And I wouldn't use Outlook even if I were running nothing but Windows. I installed that copy of Outlook just to show how easy it is. It has since be removed.

I've had to maintain computers where people used Outlook and I could never understand why they did.

15. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I'll happily take your word for the fact that you had no intent to bash Linux. However, when you post in a Linux forum, giving nothing but reason why you aren't going to use Linux, without any request for help resolving your problems, it amounts to bashing whether or not that is your intent.

Heck, I bash MS all of the time. But I don't go into a Windows forum to do so.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I was merely stating a few problems i had with linux and asking for comments to see if other people had similar problems with linux and seeking solutions. linux is getting better all the time and as more dev's port their stuff to linux the better it will become. atm there is alot of programmers that get lazy and only support windows and even if using web applications dont do enough tests for other platforms.

I thought the above screenshot was edited and you said it was running in wine ah well everyone makes mistakes.

17. _khAttAm_

_khAttAm_ Registered Member

I would have upgraded if a new version was out. I always do that with Ubuntu.

But since it is for somebody else and since upgrading always has some issues, so a clean install is necessary. And if I were to do a clean install, I'd have to take care of all the data she had (of course, just backing up the home directory will do it, but again, moving it back in the new version may have some software specific issues). So, it is fine as long as she does not have any major problem.

Just my 2 cents.

18. _khAttAm_

I am using Thunderbird and it is great so far.

Please give me some reasons to switch.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  19. tlu

tlu Guest

Kontact is not only an email application but a complete personal information manager - see http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact . Here you also find the features of Kmail. One of the features I like is that you can very easily integrate Spamassasin and Bogofilter which are superior to the built-in spamfilter of Thunderbird, IMHO.

20. _khAttAm_

^thank you.
    I've never used a personal information manager. I've never used Evolution either.

And about spam. It has never really bothered me. I take good precautions and make frequent visits to mailinator.com and Gmail filters most for me anyways.

Thank you for the clarifications again. Any other reason? Should I try something else instead of Thunderbird? And please suggest one that does not need kdebase. I haven't installed it and any other software that require those. I recently replaced Ktorrent with deluge, amarok with banshee and superkaramba with screenlets to remove kdelibs which I thought was the root to the slow file operations with linux, but I figured out it was something different (deep down to kernel).

BTW, has anyone expereinced (and fixed) the slow file operations with SATA and USB with Linux x86_64?

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Define slow please. What exactly do you refer to ...?
    Mrk

22. _khAttAm_

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.