Linus Torvalds likes the Google Chrome OS Linux desktop

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Of course. You hate Microsoft, everyone knows that. lol

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

All Ed Bott has written about for the past two months was the OSX Flashback trojan. Sure, he rarely writes about Linux, but he does leave comments about it in the comments section, usually bashing it, etc.

So, yeah, I think both SVJN and Ed Bott are shills, but I do find SVJN's shilling to be more accurate. Ed Bott just likes to pretend Windows is the only OS that exists (except when he mentions OSX and Flashback).

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yes, I hate Microsoft and that is evident in all / most / some of my posts.

4. guest

guest Guest

And you may have (in)valid ideological/political reasons, but those are probably off topic to discuss (unrelated to technology). I feel sorry for your drama, but not much because I don't share your views of course.

5. Grr argh. Useless eyecandy transparency in GUIs needs to die. Everyone knows netbook GPUs are terrible, so why do all these "netbook friendly" OSes employ so much eyecandy?

And Aura does look like a prettier, Start-menu-less version of Aero. And the name is uncomfortably close too. Have to wonder what drove Google's "innovation" there, a lawsuit from Microsoft would be rather unhealthy.

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yes, it was really ironic that when Unity came out it was aimed at netbooks but ran wayyyyy worse. This isn't so much the case now but definitely it's still slowe rthan older UIs.

Yeah it looks a lot like a regular desktop now.

7. Only because of Vista/7 Aero rubbish. Blur! Drop shadows! Window borders an inch thick! My netbook's battery life is 6 hours with Windows XP's defaults, and 4 1/2 with Windows 7's.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You must love the unity panel then :D

Odd because XP's UI isn't hardware accelerated. I'd wager it was something else consuming more battery.

9. Possibly, it might be something to do with the ACPI drivers. Linux without pcie_aspm=force also drains the battery.

10. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

These guys are all pundits, and they make their living by saying things that are designed to get attention. They live for controversy, so it's no wonder that they take the rather extreme stands that they do. Think of them as professional trolls. :)

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Hey not to hijack the thread but Where can one get the latest chrome OS?

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Here?

13. Hungry Man

I think you can only buy ChromeOS on chromebooks. OTherwise you use ChromiumOS.

14. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

15. Hungry Man

This doesn't seem t obe it.

The other link might be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.