Linspire on Second Drive - Help needed

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by dopher, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopher

dopher Registered Member

I have a PC with 2 Internal Drives - The Main drive C: for Windows XP and the Second Drive has been been partioned as a backup partition (for the C: Drive) and a 10GB partion for Linspire (linux)

Heres what is happening. I cannot boot into linspire partion UNLESS I UNPLUG the C: Drive.

If I dont unplug the C: Drive, The Acronis OS Selector sees the linspire volume, lets me choose it and displays a short linspire menu then hangs. Again if I unplug the main C: Drive it will boot fine into linspire.

Also for some reason I have two linus icons to choose from in the boot selector but both do the same thing.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas, my thought is that the Acronis is where the problem is since the linspire DOES boot if I bypass the C Drive that has the OS Selector.

Chris(dopher)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Chris,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please try to hide the C: partition from your Linspire operating system in Acronis OS Selector. In order to perform hidding you should do the following:
    - Run Acronis OS Selector;
    - Right-click on the Linspire operating system icon and choose 'Properties';
    - Select the 'Partitions' option and make your C: partition hidden for this operating system.

If this does not help then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. dopher

dopher Registered Member

Thanks, that didnt help. What I did was I selected the Linspire (Unix) partition properties and marked my main boot drive as HIDDEN and restarted. No change in behavior

After the restart I chose Linspire from the OS Selector

I got the initial linspire menu: It starts to boot (maybe boot is the wrong word) but a linspire start screen appears (as always)

It has options like: 1) Start linpspire, 2) Diagnostic 3) Advanced.

I select 1) Start linspire the screen clears and you get just a underscore in the top left corner.

I looked at producing this report you require it looks like you can choose to produce a report from windows or linux? in this case what direction do you want me to follow? There is also something about making a bootable Floppy that will produce the report as well.

Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Hello Chris,

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

This report form is more preferable for diagnostic of the issue you have described.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. dopher

dopher Registered Member

I have the file? Who do I send it to...

Chris

6. Acronis Support

Hello Chris,

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

7. dopher

dopher Registered Member

I sent the report. Some other interesting new information:

When I would install linspire I would "unplug" the C: Drive (to make sure nothing bad would happen) Well a friend said to try to install linspire with the C: Drive on, I did. Heres what happened:

First of all Linspire started the computer and displayed a small menu, the menu had all the normal options (start linpsire, diagnostics...) BUT it added a new option Boot Windows XP and it Worked!!! I could go back and forth between linspire and Windows XP... Now I just need to get this to work using the Acronis OS Selector...

After Everything was working I ran the Acronis OS Selector hoping it would "take over" and it did but now where back to square 1 and the Linspire initial menu appears but will not boot linspire just windows..

Thanks...

8. Acronis Support

Hello dopher,

Please try to do the following:

1. Set the Linux boot (/root) partition Primary and Active (you can use any disk management software to do this)
    2. Boot in Linux and install GRUB on this partition:
    #/sbin/grub-install /dev/boot_partition
    3. Boot in Windows and re-activate Acronis OS Selector.

The above refers to LILO boot manager as well. To install LILO on a certain partition use the following command:
    #/sbin/lilo /dev/boot_partition

Please also take a look at this FAQ article, which can be helpful to identify the reason of the issue.

Please also let us know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

9. dopher

dopher Registered Member

Ok I will try this. One quick question. In Step two it says boot into linux but thats where Im stuck... Is there a way to boot and get the command prompt

Also: When installing linpire you choose the partition then there is one check box (picture enclosed) that lets you choose to Write MBR. This seems to be the part I need clarification on, Linspire says it will not boot if that is NOT checked off but they may not be including what Acronis OS selector does.

Please let me know.. I can reinstall with or without that option checked.

installer8.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  10. dopher

dopher Registered Member

Just to confirm in step 2 it says boot into linux.

So I restarted the machine, choose linux from the Acronis Selector and I get a Linspire Screen:

1. Linspire 5.1.394 (boots Linux)
    2. Diagnstics
    3. Redetect
    4. Microsoft <<Windows>>
    5. Advanced menu

Pressing any one of these options clears the screen and I get:

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

Press any key to contine and around and around.

BY THE WAY I promise if we get this working I will detail the exact steps 1 by 1 for others wanting to do the same...

11. Acronis Support

Hello dopher,

Please be aware that this issue requires some investigation so it would be much easier for us to help you if you send us the report requested above. If you have already submitted a request with the report then please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. We will find out how the investigation of yourissue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

12. dopher

dopher Registered Member

I already sent the report in. With a great explanaton of whats going on.... I have enclosed screen snap shots and all.

Just for the record I work as a Systems Engineer for Apple Computer, this should not be so difficult.

So far the linspire (unix) install has come the closest to letting me boot linux / Windows... I just wanted it to work with Acronis, I'll give up and use the linux dual boot if I can get my money back on the acronis software.

Let me know where else to send this report...

13. Acronis Support

Hello Chris,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response and for current inconvenience.

We have found your request and have forwarded it to our Development Team. We will certainly do our best in order to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.