LinkScanner Pro Renewal

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Because there are people out there who use LinkScanner Pro as a standalone together with another AV or Suite and would like to still have the protection it gives WITHOUT having to install AVG 8 Free (and don't get me started on what is wrong with AVG 8 Free or paid).

XPL had a market and I suspect that AVG believe that it is still there given that there is nothing to touch the functionality provided by LS Pro...IMHO.

2. progress

progress Guest

Yes, but I think LinkScanner is the better one ;)

:thumb:

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, I just installed AVG LinkScanner 8.5, and upon installation says it's license is free (Could say beta, but says free. Maybe, it means it will be free, after all) and also gives the same nag screen the AVG Free does, when opening it.

The UI is the same as AVG 8, and a damn huge interface for a very simple application, and one only module. They totally killed the old UI. My guess is that the warnings are the same as the ones I already get with AVG 8, in what comes to linkscanner module. Being so, no information is given upon a block.

For what I could see so far, they totally killed the old LinkScanner Pro.

It's a mess.

4. m00nbl00d

I don't really care if AVG anti-virus is any good or not. I only use AVG 8 Free, due to LinkScanner. Nothing else.

And, if you ask my most honest opinion, and that's what I would say to any friend and people I know, if they wish LinkScanner, then get it by installing AVG 8 Free. Why waste a cent for something you get for free.

And, wouldn't that same market (I was part of it.), just go with the linkscanner pro version, included in AVG 8 Free? That's what I did. That's what others did. Why pay, if you get it for free.

And, my guess, is that AVG understood that. The license in AVG LinkScanner 8.5 Beta, says Free and not Beta. May mean something. Or not. Only time will tell.

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I cannot find a download link for the Standalone AVG LinkScanner 8.5. What is the link?

Is there some way to disable the nag screen like there is for AVIRA Free?

Thank you.

6. progress

progress Guest

Yes :)

7. Baldrick

There is more to software than whether it is free or not...at least in my book. Let's see what LS Pro under AVG becomes and make our own decision. All I can say is I will not be using it if its functionality is compromised...free or not. End of!

8. m00nbl00d

This new version, is nothing but a rip off of the LinkScanner module, part of AVG 8 Free, AVG 8 Pro and AVG Internet Security.
    I could say it's either one of those, with all components, but LinkScanner, ripped off.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The only download link I found is for AVG LinkScanner 8.5.0.282 Beta. I had to register with AVG for Beta Testing in order to download it. I have not yet installed it. Is there a final release of AVG LinkScanner 'Standalone'?

10. m00nbl00d

No, there's still no final release. Sorry, I should have said the version I installed, in a virtual machine, was a beta version.

But, as I mentioned, I believe it will be provided for free, when it gets to final. Otherwise, and I might be assuming it in the wrong way, I believe should say Beta version and not Free.

11. johncage

johncage Registered Member

I 've tried the AVG LinkScanner 8.5.0.282 Beta, unfortunately it conflicted with Avira AntiVir Premium. AVG Surf Shield can not detect any threats.

12. progress

progress Guest

What are you talking about? o_O

Test it: Had this page contained an actual exploit and you were not protected by SocketShield, your computer would have been "exploited" just by viewing this page. ;)

13. johncage

johncage Registered Member

I have to disable Avira AntiVir real-time guard, or AVG LinkScanner can't pass the test.(http://www.explabs.com/test/) it conflicted with Avira AntiVir's real time guard .

14. progress

progress Guest

Oh, what a pity :ouch:

15. Baldrick

OK, AVG LS v8.5 Build 282 installed and up and running...and dare I say it running lighter (by about 3MB) when comapring its processes to the XPL version. So far (but it is early days) it is running well and seems to perform in just the same way as the XPL version. Has detected all the items, sites, etc. that the XPL version did...so will have to throw a few new ones at it.

Right clicking sys tray icon is a bit pointless and some of the XPL version fucntionality is missing but that may come back. Immediate information in the AVG GUI is sparse (and I am not a fan but I suppose that it needs to fit in with the AVG feel...:'( ). The XPL tabs have disappeared but one can find two of them 'hidden' under the History dropdown as are the Advanced Settings (another Tab under XPL).

What is certainly missing and much missed by me is the ability to specify a web link and request a scan of this. I will be pressing for this to be restored (one can but try ;) ).

So it is on with the teoting!! :)

16. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

I am not sure if I understand this, but if you open the main window, click on "Overview" (on the left) and double click on "AVG LinkScanner" or go to Components Menu>AVG LinkScanner you are going to be presented with a window similar to the original XPL where you can introduce any web link and request a scan for it.

Best

Enrique Diazruanova

17. Baldrick

Hi Enrique

Thanks for that. You are quite right...there it is. I had not tried the double click. Personally I feel that the History elements, ie, Blocked Websites & Exploits Prevented, should also be accessible as Overview sub menus.

I am trying to find a way to update AVG on my thoughts but can find no way of feeding back to them. Do you know how one can do that?

:D

18. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

Hi Baldrick,

I agree, that it is still missing some things that were present on the XPL version, I also hope they will include some of those when the definitive version is launched.

I found this link, but there is not many people there, maybe you will have more luck :doubt:

http://betaforum.avg.com/viewforum.php?f=25

Greetings

19. Baldrick

Hi Enrique

have been on the AVG forum and posted all my thoughts from this thread. The forum seems to be frequented by the developers sO I will keep trying there rather than here in terms of suggested features (old & new ;) )

20. m00nbl00d

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

:thumb: Only reason I had AVG free 8.5 was linkscanner, it works. Now I will be using the stand alone application with Avira 9 again, thx :thumb:

22. m00nbl00d

No problem! And, indeed, it is a security tool that works. ;)

23. progress

progress Guest

What about the GUI? :p

24. m00nbl00d

I still haven't installed the final version, but, if nothing has been changed, then it resembles the AVG 8 products line. Something I already said to AVG I do not like. ;) But, they're listening to what users wish to be changed, etc. It's a start. If will be done or not, beats me. :D

25. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Does the software need the toolbar, which from what I've seen is sponsored by Yahoo! (looking at their video...) in order to protect you, or is it somewhat useful only for having direct access to the protection options at your fingertips? Also, does it protect the Opera Web-Browser, like LinkScanner Pro clearly seemed to do? I'm asking that, cause it's ultimately the only web-browser I use, unless there's a page where I just have to use IE in order for it to work. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.