Lindows Concedes Name Game to Microsoft in Benelux

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Smokey, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Lindows.com Inc., a maker of low-cost computers running Linux software, on Friday said it had halted operations in the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg in the latest round of its cat-and-mouse legal battle with Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) .
    Lindows, based in San Diego, California, said it had withdrawn from the three countries after it received legal papers demanding that it pay a fine of up to 100,000 euros a day for failing to comply with an earlier court order.

Microsoft, which is often embroiled in legal battles with competitors, has pursued Lindows in courts around the world, alleging trademark infringement of its Windows brand name by Lindows, which offers a Linux alternative called LindowsOS.

"We have completely withdrawn our products from these markets and put notices on every page of our Web site," said Lindows Chief Executive Michael Robertson, who founded the digital music Web site MP3.com. "Microsoft is still asking that the judge fine us 100,000 euros per day because non-U.S. visitors can view our U.S.-based Web site," he said.

In its filing, Microsoft had complained that the Lindows main Web site, http://www.lindows.com, was flaunting a previous Dutch court injunction against using the Lindows name by referring visitors from Belgium, Luxembourg the Netherlands and Sweden to a separate home page, http://www.lin---s.com/.

Visitors to this referral page were met with a stick-figure sketch of an unfinished game of hangman. The accompanying text, which read Lin---s.com, was situated above the letters of the alphabet. Twenty-three of the 26 letters were crossed out, with only the "D," "O" and "W" remaining, leaving the reader to complete the puzzle and fill in the full word "Lindows."

Lindows said it had implemented a complete withdrawal from the Benelux market pending an appeal of the original court order.

As a result, the lin---s.com site now refers viewers to Lindows' appeal of the Dutch court ruling, instead of to a link to buy Lindows computers.

Microsoft and Lindows are scheduled to go to trial in the United States this month over efforts by Microsoft to win an injunction against Lindows over use of its trademark. Microsoft has won injunctions against Lindows in Finland, Sweden, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft has argued that Lindows chose its name in order to gain publicity from being associated with Microsoft's Windows operating system software, which runs on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers.

Lindows.com has countered that the term "Windows" was generic and that the company could use its name indefinitely

Source: Reuters New York

Attached Files:

2. root

root Registered Member

Grrrrrrrrr! :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You would think that a company as large as microsoft would be above such petty things.

Attached Files:

4. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Well, I was going to make a comment but Billy G's middle initial isn't "P"?. But we could pretend, couldn't we? o_O :D

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am glad I have linux to use if I ever do get completely ticked off at windows. Err ahh billy g.

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

It seems that in Dutch even Lin----.com is pronounced as Windows, well not quite, but Microsoft seems to be attacking again, because the lindows site is still available from The Netherlands. So I call on all my fellow dutchmen and women to not visit the lindows.com site (btw: applies also to people from Belgium and Luxemburg), since technically it is not possible to restrict access from certain areas to other areas in an open internet environment.

In order to help the Lindows folks, I would expend this plea to include not visiting the microsoft site, since this too resembles Lindash name that looks like windows.

I know that there is at least one judge in the netherlands who knows a little bit about computing, but I fear that he's the only one :doubt:

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And please in your answer: please do not use any Links® and do not point to any other bookshelf ® reference (any reference to any classic literature title is bound to be attacked by the Microsoft® brigand(tm) OR devastator(tm).

Yeah, even pity on you if you're from Georgia®, if your name is Nina(TM) or your natural® entourage® is the autoroute(TM).

It's hard discussing these matters when monopolising these common words is possible (you can't with us... windows is not a Dutch lanuage word, so it can be limited :()

I propose two contests:
    - answer this topic without any of these dangerous words (hard, very hard)
    - answer with only dangerous words :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.