Limitations of freeware versions?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by avoelp, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avoelp

avoelp Registered Member

I have used Mackup & Recovery 2011 Free to create am image backup of my system drive for migration to a larger hard drive. When I restore the image backup to the new drive (using the B&R boot CD) I specify that the image should be restored to a larger partition size, but the program actually restores it to its original size (and the rest of the drive remains unpartitioned).

I then installed Partition Manager 11 Free to increase the size of the partition into the unused space of the new disk. It lets me increase the partition size, but only by a small amount so that the major part of the drive is still unused.

Are those limitations of the freeware versions of the program that do not apply when the commercial versions are installed?

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

No, there are no extra limitations like that.

How big is the drive you are restoring to?

I think the Paragon apps. support drives up to 2tb.

3. avoelp

avoelp Registered Member

The old drive had 80 GB, and the system partition had about 40 GB. The new drive is a Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB. When restoring the system partition I adjusted the partition size to 120 GB which the program confirmedm but after completing the restore the partition only had its original size of 40 GB.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Not sure what happened there - but it's not a deliberate limitation of the free versions.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The symptoms seem to be similar to those of a known problem in certain Dell computers, which has been reported in the past.

If the computer is a Dell, try to restore only the partitions and *not* the MBR or the track0.

6. avoelp

avoelp Registered Member

The computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.