Limit options

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Thomas Platts, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Thomas Platts

Thomas Platts Registered Member

I have just purchased Sandboxie and I would like a limited option approach. Could someone suggest such approach to this Application?

I use Google Chrome. I want to limit the number of security Apps in use.

Thanks
    1st Corps

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Thomas, what you mean by a limited option approach?

If you mean what to use along Sandboxie, I recommend using a simple antivirus. One with few extras or addons. Addons can conflict with Sandboxie, so, the simpler, the better. Windows defender or MSE is perfect.

Bo

3. Thomas Platts

Thanks Bo
    The options which I would want limit are the options contained in the Sandboxie program. I use Google Chrome which is sandboxed. There are, however, many other options which I have not any idea about. What other options do you recommend? I have read some of your posts which contain concepts I do not understand.
    I have had enough of buying software because of the name of the application. I believe that with Sandoxie I will be involved in the computer's protection.

1st Corps

4. bo elam

I personally believe it behooves first time users of Sandboxie to use Sandboxie without restrictions and most settings as they come by default during the first few days or weeks they use the program. That way later when you eventually start making restriction, you ll understand why something doesnt work or why you getting Sandboxie messages.

The following are the only things I suggest you change in settings at this time. 1. Sandbox contents is not set to delete by default. To change it so the sandbox deletes automatically on closing of sandboxed programs, go to:

Sandbox settings>Delete>Delete invocation, Tick "Automatically delete contents of sandbox"

2. For convenience, set the sandbox so you can recover downloads.

Sandbox settings>Recovery>Quick recovery, add your downloads folders there. I like setting my browser to download to one specific folder, if thats what you do then make sure to add that folder there.

If you like to be prompted when downloading is finish leave the option ticked in Immediate recovery. If you don't want prompts, I don't, untick "Enable immediate recovery"

3. Also for convenience, set bookmarks to be saved out of the sandbox. Go to:

Sandbox settings>Applications>Web browser>Google Chrome, tick the option there.

Also read the FAQ regarding viruses and how antiviruses interact with Sandboxie.
    https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FAQ_Virus

What I wrote above are the things I thought was important to know when I first started using Sandboxie. The rest came later.

Ask all you want, dont be shy, we ll gladly help you. Welcome to the Sandboxie club :cool:.

Bo

5. Thomas Platts

Thanks a lot Bo! I will follow your advice.
    would appreciate further advice at some later date. Foe now, thanks.
    1st Corps

6. bo elam

I know what you mean, at the time I discovered Sandboxie I was looking for something effective that worked differently than antiviruses. I was fed up with computer security as I knew it. Most programs claimed to protect against a million viruses......but failed. I couldn't understand why. In my search I found 100 programs, Sandboxie was just one of them.

Pure instinct. Sandboxie was the second program I tried and it was a hit right away with me. What I read about it, unlike other programs, claimed nothing spectacular but made sense and sounded like what I wanted (no signatures, different technology). And it worked. Now viruses belong in my past. By choosing Sandboxie you done good for yourself.

Bo

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

+1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.