Lightweight firewall which does not slow down the system?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by softtouch, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

I used outlook until today, because I was quiet happy with the firewall, until I figured out that it slows down very much the server (web server with lots of traffic). Page loads doubled in time.
    I tried only so far comodo (VERY slow with lot of server access from the internet, good for personal computer), outpost (slow too), kerio (not 100% compatible, had problems).

What (freeware prefered) firewall would you recommend which does not slow down much the system (consider it is a server, where it has to filter/check a lot of packets all the time)?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Search the forum for CHX-I 3 , robust, Ghostwall, stateless but light (official forum here). Why a Windows server may i ask?

3. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

I am trying at the moment PCTools Firewall. It almost does not slow down the server, pages load now twice as fast as before with outpost...

Why windows server? Because I work since ever with Windows OS (since they exist), and program on Windows OS, so its easier for me to maintain or fix if something is wrong...

I will check the firewalls you mention in a moment. I heard about Ghostwall, but never about CHX-I 3.

Thanks for your advice!

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Online Armor free is very light. Only about 14K with both services running that it uses.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Just a quick note: CHX-I 3 and Ghostwall don't have application control.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Jetico I, free, very light and has application control and a limited HIPS function.

7. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Ghostwall and Online Armor are two good firewall and wich are lightweight...

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Try Sygate 5.5 Free. I'm not sure how it behaves on a server, but it is very light for a normal system. You might have a pleasant surprise :)

9. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Use Jetico Firewalls 1(if you have no stability issues with it,free though) or version 2(its payed).
    I tested a lot of firewalls and lighter than Jetico i never saw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.