Lightest Linux.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sosaiso, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Here we go with the Linux questions again. :D

I've recently acquired a very antique computer. Something along the lines of 200mhz Intel and a 32mb of RAM. I want to get this system up and running for my parents. I was just wondering what version of linux would run on such a system. I'm not sure of the HD space capacities, but I imagine it won't be much. All I need it to do is run the internet and maybe some word processing from time to time. I'm sure all distros can do the aforementioned tasks.

So, I guess my question is, which is the lightest/smallest Linux distro with these features and not have the computer sluggishly slow?

Thanks much.

2. dog

dog Guest

3. sosaiso

dog, you are the best.

It looks like that DSL is the lighter of the two. However, it doesn't seem this machine meets the minimum requirements for Firefox. What kind of browser would I be using?

I'll look into getting this thing off the ground. Much thanks again.

4. dog

dog Guest

You can use Dillo - It's a very basic browser - I believe both distros include it

Here's a screenshot of it:

Attached Files:

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I would vote for Slackware that I was able to install smoothly on machines where Mandrake could not even install (not enough memory). Besides Slackware, may be try the Fedora Core distrib.

Regards,
    gkweb.

6. sosaiso

Ah, Dillo looks to be an interesting little browser. I assume, as far as browsing is concerned, it does everything, SSL, etc?

7. sosaiso

Hello there gkweb,

I combed the website for system reqs for Fedora Core, but I could not seem to find any. Slackware seems to be another possibility for me to look into. Thanks.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you could try xubuntu. it should be easier to setup and use then some of the others mentioned. i'm not sure about the specs though.
    http://www.xubuntu.org/

BTW, DSL comes with Firefox.

9. dog

dog Guest

10. sosaiso

I found on their site:
    So that's out, but thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know there was a very light ubuntu version.

Thanks dog for the links to SSL, I'll try to figure that out. My parents might be doing some online banking from time to time, so I want to make sure those things work.

11. dog

dog Guest

I wouldn't use Dillo for that considering it's in alpha state ... banking sites usually require javascript too which isn't supported.

Opera may be viable - I don't see a listing for the minimum system requirements other than this -> http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=206

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

that's what i ment about not being sure of the specs. lol, i didn't really look very closely at the specs before i posted :eek:

i just asked some Linux users and they said -
    :D

13. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

In addition to what has been said, I will add

Vector Linux

It is a distro based off of slackware, but runs much faster.

Gentoo is also pretty fast since it has all of those compilation enhancements (it will take an insanely long time to install on your pc though since the entire os is compiled from source during install :eek: ).

If you don't like any of those, you can try ubuntu, then install fluxbox for the desktop (much faster than Xfce). Remove all of the uneccesary apps that you won't use, disable startup processes, etc.

Good luck!

Alphalutra1

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Another vote for Slacky. I used it on a Pentuim 100 a few years ago.

My friend put linux on my Amiga 1200 - I will have to ask him what distro :D

15. sosaiso

I've decided on Slackware. I read Puppy and DSL, both would work great from the live distros, but I am too unsure how to get it to install to the HDD.

I'll look into how to get that distro to install to harddrive and let you know how I go. It seemed to be the easiest process of the small distros.

Thank you all again for the great suggestions.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the makers of DSL recommend you don't install it to the HDD, i can't remember why though. there's also DSL-N which came out a month or so ago. it's 1/3 bigger.

i think Slackware is abit complicated for a first distro, maybe once it's setup it will be fine, but some of the programs will have to be installed from source which will involve finding all the dependencies.

there are afew places where you can get pre-compiled binaries though and there are the package managers too - slapt-get
    http://software.jaos.org/#slapt-get

there is SWareT too which i think might deal with package dependencies
    http://swaret.sourceforge.net/index.php

i've never used Slackware though, but when i install my new HDD i really want to install it, but mainly because i've heard you really have to know what you are doing to use it and i want to learn more about Linux, Ubuntu is too easy!

17. dog

dog Guest

You won't go wrong with that ... it's a good distro.

Best Wishes and looking forward to hearing an update. :)

Steve

18. sosaiso

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll def keep you updated on how I go.

The problem is how to lug around this machine across town without getting hit by a car, dropping the computer, etc. *puppy*

19. sosaiso

Slackware installed, and everything is up and running. Kinda. But it does the job fine. Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.