Lighest Antivirus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jg88swe, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Trend micro is fairly light, not like f-prot though but trend will scan 260.655 items in twenty eight minutes and nod took I believe fifty eight minuters. and kav took seventy four minutes and Nav took thirty one minutes. on xpsp2 one gig ram p4 3.0 Nod used to be very fast on my machine but not with the new version 2.5

2. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

BigC, Trend Micro is decent but I don't care too much for the protection, however I do currently use Etrust version 7.0 and I was wondering how you would stack up the two against each other.

Scott

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Seriously, not to start an av war but trends protection is right up there with mcafee nav not quite Kav. but trend is a world class av and as such it will detect that way. It is funny almost every time someone suggest's a user goes to an online scan it is usually trends house call. That is because it has good detection and it cleans up malware very well.. And to your question, in my opinion as someone that has been in the business of computers. and av's for at least twelve years I would have to say that in a real world environment eTrust antivirus can't hold a candle to trend. This decision comes from my personal use of both of the av's mentioned including earlier versions also.

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i think a properly tweaked drweb is probably the lightest you can get.
    imagine, i dont have to turn spiderguard off when i play games :eek:
    no slowdowns whatsoever...:p

drweb is also the cheapest :D
    value for money huh?

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The *lightest* is NO antivirus program at all. :)

In other words, consideration needs to be given to the balance between resource usage and effectiveness of protection. IMHO, NOD32 & DrWeb have the best ratio between low resource usage AND high effectiveness.

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

@ Kye-U

What screen capture program are you using that gives that cool ripped paper effect ?? :D

Cheers.

7. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

SnagIt ^_^

I strongly believe F-Prot is the lightest of them all :D

I mean, what can beat 660 K?

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

To say "lightest" might be a bit vague. One must really consider the entire situation. An AV like F-Prot wiht its low memory usage may be a good choice for a 64MB Win 9x box, but something else might run better on a different P2/P3 machine with more memory, even if not strong on CPU speed.

Of course, F-Prot has large updates which are a pain for dial up users.

So, the real question is where is your system constrained?

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Speaking of light, what is the opinion on AntiVir Personal?

10. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I think this's the lightest one, it uses less than 2 MB of memory :rolleyes:

11. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I am using NOD32 v.2.5 and I don't see any noticable slowdown at all. As you can see NOD32 doesn't use much resources (nod32krn.exe and nod32kui.exe):

Attached Files:

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

TrendMicro's detection has drastically improved since the time I used it. Good for them and all users of PC-cillin.

However, I'm still ticked that I need to manually download the DCS (Damage Cleanup Services) every 4 days or so to remove the registry entries of the malware detected. I feel that it should be included as part of the updates.

13. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm using NOD32 v2.5 Trial Version and OS = win2000proSP4

According Windows Task Manager/Processes :
    nod32kui.exe = 1688 K (496 K)
    nod32krn.exe = 10516 K (2488 K)

What I don't understand is that I have much higher values than member fosius. Fosius' values are mentioned in parentheses.

Any explanation for this big difference ?

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Kye-U,

this resources of F-Prot is of the Windows startup or a lot of time after starting thw Windows?

Regards

16. fosius

fosius Registered Member

You can notice if you hide NOD32 Control Center's window usage of memory is much lower. And nod32krn.exe? This can happen when this process has been actually doing something (updating, start-up scanning, and so on..).

17. .....

..... Registered Member

Both :)

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Fosius,
    Thank you. Understood. Over and out. :)

19. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

F-Prot is an excellent product. I have used it on and off since version 1.0 for DOS and it has always been sensible and reliable. It is so light resource-wise that I don't notice it's even running, this being on XP SP2, Athlon 64 3000+, 160Gb HDD and 768Mb RAM. In all that time I have never had a virus infection on my PC that F-Prot hasn't reacted to BEFORE the virus has got loose. And that's what we use antivirus apps for, isn't it? ;)

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

When I think of light I am usually thinking about what is got the least ram tied up at any given moment. Perhaps it just is not that simple but that is what I think about. The rest of it is just don't slow me down to the point I notice it. For me system constraint is slower system 800MHz and pretty much stuck with 256 ram.

You do make a good point as usual Diver. ;)

21. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

F-Prot is the lightest on my computer.

22. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

yeaaahh fprot is the lightest av but its doesnt have any setting for realtime scanner.

23. derway

derway Registered Member

I think the term "lightest" needs clarification.

I don't care all that much, within reason, how much memory it takes up. In fact, keeping the memory footprint too low, means you are constantly retrieving malware patterns from disk, which has to dramatically slow things down.

Further, I don't care much how long an on demand scan takes. I just schedule it for 4 am, and don't worry about it.

What I care about is impact on PC applications popping open, windows moving, menus opening up, and web usage.

KAV 5 is un-noticeable on my system, even with real time protection set to max.

The current NOD32 is FAR from un-noticeable. It causes a distinct slowdown, even with IMON off.

Haven't tried f-prot. Hate NAV2005 - got trojandownloader, due to symantec's slow update policy.

Sure like KAV! Yes, the full scan is very slow, but it finds things that NOD overlooks, like malware buried in old mozilla mail archives. KAV detects them all. NOD does not.

To me, preventing the malware from hitting the disk, (via some sort of real time monitor), is almost necessary these days - at least until full http scanning gets fast enough to live with all the time...

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

derway,
    Yes, you are correct. I am not suggesting a trade off of poor real time protection for low memory useage foot print. It is that careful balance and good software engineering I look for in a product. Another words performance to sum it up in one word. memory useage divided by realtime scanning equals performance :D .

Scheduled scans you bet, set them for you night-night time. This is best imo. ;) too.

25. fosius

fosius Registered Member

As I said before my NOD32 doesnt slowdown my computer at all. All settings set to maximum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.