license and multi system operatives

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by redscizor, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redscizor

redscizor Registered Member

hi, i have this problem
    i have a net of 50 pc, but this have 2 system operative (winxp and win2000)
    when i buy nod32, i buy license for 50, in the mail i can read this license is for computer
    but me problem is, what nod32 RA only i can have the firts 50 operative systems

ok, i thinked no have administration of this computer, but alls operative systems (100) have nod32 and can update, but if come one organization of control ex. a internal audit , i am breaking the license or not?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

trying to understand - you have a license for 50 machines and a server running RA server - but have 100 machines running a mixture of xp/2000?

Or - is that 50 machines running dual boot - ie, xp and 2000 on each machine?

If you have 100 workstations, you do not have a big enough license and seem to be breaking the license because you have NOT purchased a large enough license.

3. Niklass

Niklass Registered Member

Yes, you need one license per operating system.

4. webyourbusiness

the way I understand it - at least for windows - if I have my machine dual-boot, with XP and Windows 2000 - that would require ONE license. If it's is triple boot with windows xp, win2k, Vista - still one license - because the windows license is the windows license - however - if I have RA (enterprise) - that would appear to be 3 different workstations connecting to the RA server - so I would require 3x RA seats if I wanted to administer that machine in each of it's three boot-states.

Now - if I dual boot between linux and windows - they are licensed differently - so I would need to purchase TWO licenses - one for windows and one for *nix - as they are licensed differently. It would also require 2x RA seats. It gets really complicated for dual-boot environments - thankfully - these are relatively uncommon - and when you do run across them, it will USUALLY be 1 or 2 tech's machines in an organization rather than all the workstations.

I'd be very interested in Marcos or another Eset staffer's input on this situation, but it may NOT be what the OP was asking...

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The RAC gathers computers based on netbios names, I believe.
    If he has the machines named differently...he possibly may have the RAC want to show 100 names...from the differently named 50x dual boots...but the RAC will only show 50 if this is the case..based on license.

Unique scenario.

They'll still update fine..just won't show in the RAC. Could keep clearing out the RAC each day..they'll report in within 5 minutes.

6. webyourbusiness

YeOlde - is that allowed, or beyond the scope of the license? it's a pain to clean them all out daily - but could be done I know...

7. redscizor

redscizor Registered Member

this is my example
    winxp name: pc-xx
    win2000 name: computer-xx

then in the RAC i have
    pc-01
    pc-02
    pc-03
    pc-30
    computer-01
    computer-02
    computer-03
    computer-20

then no have my computers of office zone in the RAC :S

then i can made?, if i put
    winxp name: pc-xx
    win2000 name: pc-xx

ok i think, no have problems in the RAC, but i need know if this problem is orign of my disorder in my network, or i am breaking the license

i have 50 computer, and have licence for 50 computers

8. webyourbusiness

if you have 50 total machines, with a mixture of single boot operating systems, xp and 2000 - and a license for 50 machines - it seems you are ok and you may have some admin issue, but the license is sufficient (at least how I read it).

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The licensing is "Per computer"...of the same platform (IE...dual boot both Windows, or dual boot both linux)..since you purchase a license either for windows or linux.

He technically has 50x computers..and 50x licenses. The RAC is still managing 50x computers. If he has between 50 and 100 netbios names..whatever exceeds 50...IMO is just a drawback of the design..requiring "pruning" of the clients list in RAC..but IMO it would still not be a violation.

For ease of management...I'd suggest trying to name them all the same. However after typing that..if he's running in active directory..hmm....actually that probably won't work..due to computer accounts in AD..so NM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.