Licence Question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by wigwam, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

If I buy a one-machine licence for ESS but then decide soon after that I would also like to install it on a 2nd machine can I pay the difference for a 2 user licence or do I have to fork out again for a 2nd single licence?
    ESS pricing is a little on the steep side for us over on this side of the pond IMO!

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

that will depend on your reseller. We have done it that way- but only when the purchase of the 2nd is close (within a few days).

You really need to purchase locally - Eset is REALLY cracking down on resellers selling outside of territory - for instances, purchases on our side of the pond must have a delivery address of a US/Canadian address, so if you have a relative whose address you can use, you're good to go - otherwise, you need to purchase from your local distributor/reseller network.

3. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

Thanks.

I have to confess we do feel ripped off in the UK when we are still charged differential prices even for downloaded products, not even something physcially tangible shipped to our home.

Purely for interest, when you say you ask for/need a "delivery address" when orders are placed is that literally to ensure the buyer lives in US/Canada as again you are otherwise reselling a downloaded product?

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

The currency fluctuations can make any country look more attractive - at the moment the weakness of the dollar makes US prices look more attractive than ever.

the problem is that Eset has distributors in various parts of the world -the distributor agreements are clear that business from that part of the world goes through them. Obviously they didn't give it much thought that free-will and the free economy makes purchasing online as easy as click-1-2-3 from anywhere in the world.

I'll give you an example of a valid purchase from overseas - we get orders from overseas all the time - some are good - some are bad. This last week alone we had a lady purchase with an italian address and we politely informed her that we could not supply and that her card would be refunded - she calls us at the office from a US phone in San Diego - she is living in the USA and studying here. We entered her US address onto her order and processed it quickly.

Another customer place an order for a 3 user family pack - he entered a Russian address and paid online - we informed that we can not supply - he emails and informs us that he is visiting New York for several months and putting this software on his uncle, aunt and his own PC but doesn't have a US bank account. This is valid too - the software is being deployed here in the USA.

We get US forces deployed overseas purchase with their home and overseas addresses - US bases are the USA - even is they are overseas - I wonder if Eset ever considered this. There are many valid/invalid variations - bottom line - if the license is deployed TO a US or Canadian or we have a US delivery address, then the USA/Canadian reseller channel can supply it. Without that address, we have to cancel the order I am afraid - this is true for ALL US / Canadian resellers - there are no exceptions.

We are told that a foreign email address will also cause the order to be scrutinized for breach of the reseller channel agreement. ie, an obviously overseas email address would also cause us to refer the sale back to the client - because we can not risk out reseller status for one order - sorry folks - Eset's game - we have to all play by the rules!

5. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

many thanks for taking the trouble to give a very full explanation.
    I will purchase for my laptop while I am over in Canada visiting the in-laws then!

We also need to make Eset wake up to multi-machine licences for the cost IMO.
    If these companies are serious about reducing online problems for a home family scenario it would be useful to allow install to 1-3 machines for that price I reckon to be more on a par with the competitors.

But hey we have the choice to vote with out wallets, I accept that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.