Licence Agreement..question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by broderp, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, but what you are trying to do is tell them how to do business, rather than do as Shieber says below, with the implication if they don't do it, people will steal, and that flat is wrong.

2. broderp

broderp Registered Member

Just to add a few things....

Microsoft allows me to use OFFICE 2007 ENTERPRISE EDITION on 3 PC's per our licence agreement. And, I paid $19.99 plus tax for this privilage.

Yes, I know Microsoft IS a LARGE/HUGE company compared to Acronis, so I don't expect the same type of plan, plus the plan I have is thru my company's HOME USE PROGRAM.

I would happily buy several licences of ATI-10 at a reasonable cost, $10-$15 sounds about right, or even a scaled pricing: $20 for the second, $15 for the third etc.....

I do agree however that we need to watch our step, as I don't want to force Acronis into a product activation policy, as this is just such a pain and the consiquenses can be grave if they go out of busness (I hope they don't!!). I bought a copy of some well known DVD copy program the day before it was pulled from the market because of lawsuits over the ripping portion of the software and the whole copyright issue. It worked beautifully for years, until I upgraded my hard drive, and I could not re-install because the on-line activation was no longer valid. This forced me to find an alternative, and I did with some FREE software that works EVEN BETTER.

I hope acronis does not do this, and I for one will abide by the EULA within the scope of my understanding.

3. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

Why don't you contact or email Acronis and ask for a price quote for, say, 3 licenses, 5, licenses and 15 and see what (if any) discount they have?

4. broderp

Oh, I intend to!:D But I'm not holding my breath!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Please note that you can ask any pre-sales and license policy questions to Acronis sales representative via <Live Chat with a Sales Rep>.

In addition, I would recommend that you contact Acronis Sales Team via phone or by filling up the form available at the Purchase Acronis Corporate Solutions page of Acronis web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

rotflmfao -- Microsoft? That's probably the only deal you can get from them. What's the price on Vista and how many machines can you use it on? Or MS's other applications. The best damned EULA was the old Borland license for Turbo Pascal -- plain and simple and the price was a terrific bargain.

I think ATI is a pretty good producdt for the price. Wouldn't it be nice if everyting costs less than it does?

7. broderp

Here is a great idea, I just bought/received a copy of ADOBE ACROBAT 8.0, and as usual I read the EULA.....

Here's what it says:

"2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.5 below, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy."

It goes on to explain the differnt types of licences (its a 391 page document in about 33 different languages), but I read specifically the pages pertaining to HOME USE. Sec 2.5 is concerned with use and VOLUME LICENCES.

Now this I think is FAIR, but multiple licence discounts would be better! I can't complain, I will only need this software on 1 or maybe 2 PC's. And for $112 shipped, I can't complain!

Acronis, are you LISTENING??

(I need a copy of your disk management utility, but as usual, I have 5 PC's that need it....:oops: )

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Not really sure what your beef is here. Acronis offer their software with a license agreement. If you download and use the trial it is reasonable to assume that all potential users can deduce

a) the terms of the license
    b) the cost of the product
    c) the functionality.

If you don't like any of the above three - don't buy it, buy someone else's product which gives you closer to what you want.

By the way you analogy with Adobe Acrobat is a complete red-herring. A local market trader gave me a free bag of potatoes yesterday. Does that mean that I should now think it is "FAIR" for all market traders to give me freebees ?

Not only that, Adobe's business model is very different to Acronis'. I don't know how you can even begin to compare the two.

F.

9. broderp

F.-
    No beef, just a statement of how I believe (as do others) that general EULA are outdated and don't take into account the everyday user who has more than one PC at home, say a desktop and a laptop.

Several companies have recognised this, and have changed or modified thier policies.

Acronis is a great product, the trial I downloaded worked flawlessly, but I don't feel the current realities of todays market indicate such a dated outlook on EULA's that specify such binding limitations when the issues faced by many could be addressed with a small change to the EULA or even offering discounted rates for multiple licences to the end user.

But you are right about one thing....I don't have to buy it. Many will look for alternatives, and someone will step up to the plate and offer a viable solution at a reasonable price.

The company I work for does this all the time. We switched to MS OFFICE from the whole WORDPERFECT SUITE years ago because functionality vs. licence cost per employee was a no brainer.

To each his own I guess!:)
    R

10. dantz

dantz Registered Member

$31.90 at newegg.com.

11. broderp

Well today is 4-18-07, and I emailed Acronis for a quote, and explained to them what I was looking for and why. (Read this thread) I expressed the fact I wanted to keep things square and fair with them, but financially couldn't afford 4-5 copies of thier software.

That was on April 5th. 13 days ago. Do you think I even got a responce?:cautious:

Of COURSE NOT. :rolleyes:

It appears the line "without the express written consent" is meaningless as I can't even get a "NO" out of them. So much for the EULA! Why write it if you can't/won't respond to a request from someone attempting to do you right and give you money? I guarrantee you in my occupation, word of mouth is a great selling point.

Great product though! To bad they don't want any more of my money!:thumbd:

12. foghorne

Or, too bad they don't want to give their product away ;)

You are trying to make it sound like you are doing them a favour, whereas the reality is that you are bartering with them to save yourself a few quid.

As I have already said, Acronis have set their stall out in terms of what functionality they offer and how much it will cost. It's probably time to move along to another stall and buy something which matches your needs better. I would be interested to hear which product you end up with.

If you can afford seven computers but can't afford to kit them out with the software they need, I don't really know what to say :rolleyes:

F.

13. John2222

Rather than torturing yourself with anxiety of waiting, why not just pick up the phone and call them and ask?

Acronis Contact Information
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/contacts.html

14. broderp

To begin with, I explained how and why I have the computers I do, and the fact I only paid a token amount of what they were worth, or they are fairly old (I have two ASUS Terminators with AMD DURON 1Gz prosessors) is irrelivent to my financial restrictions. So I buy a new PC every 4-5 years, and buy 2-3 year old PC's from my employer for $25 when we upgrade to new ones.

As far as calling, my job restricts call, as I am 90% of the time on the phone and busy, and buy the time I get home, with the family and all I don't get around to it for several hours or it's too late, unless they are open 24-7, which I doubt.

Like I said, I want thier WRITTEN PERMISSION as stated in the EULA, and as far as I know the easiest way to get it in writting is to e-mail them. Anyone on the phone can say one thing, and then deny or not remember it later, not that acronis would, but over time undocumented or verbal contracts can be disputed more readily than written ones.

"You are trying to make it sound like you are doing them a favour, whereas the reality is that you are bartering with them to save yourself a few quid."

I'm simply exercising my right, as THEY SEEM FIT to put it in the EULA. If they don't expect people to request an exception, or ask for something, they shouldn't have it in the EULA as a possible option.

No harm in trying right?

15. John2222

Sorry, I just don't see (understand) the problem. In the time you took to type your reply you could have called. They have a toll-free number for sales in the U.S.

You can always request a written quote faxed or emailed to you after asking your question(s).

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/contacts.html
    Contact Sales
    +1 877 669-9749 (Corporate Sales only)
    +1 650 745-2132 Fax

16. broderp

Well I can type and talk on the phone at the same time, like now..

I can't talk to two people at the same time, and my personal life-conversations in my office are not anyones busness but mine, and I'm reluctant to discuss them in public, as I'm in a cubicle next to others.

:(

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What you are saying is you want their written permission for you do to something the EULA says you can't.

Also the fact that you get computers cheap is irrelevant. Sorry. You want to back up 7 computers legally you have to buy 7 licenses. Just because you have a certain personal situation, you think they will give you a break.

Maybe if you email sales and ask if there is a discount on 7 home licenses you might get a better response, but emailing them asking them for their permission to violate the EULA, probably brought some folks there a chuckle, but less likely to gain you a response.

18. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I can't argue against the "no harm in trying" but it probably is in the agreement so Acronis can make an exception to the EULA for a case that suits them. If it is not in the agreement and they do not enforce the EULA with written permission then it opens up a legal can of worms like precedences. It would be argued that the EULA had no validity because Acronis had permitted others to ignore it.

19. broderp

WRONG, the EULA states it can't be done WITHOUT thier permission, not that it can't be done at all. So I asked for permission.

RIGHT! I've said this all along, others have stated that I can "afford" several computers, so why not 7 copies of Acronis, I didn't. I don't think they will or will not give me a discount, I just asked to see. Thier non-responce speaks for itself.

YOUR WRONG AGAIN, my email to Acronis simply explained my siduation, I figured they would need to know WHY I was making a request, as well as asking for any possible discount on licences thru them. I'm willing to pay. I did NOT ask to be able to load this software on all of my PC's for free.

20. broderp

I tend to agree at this point, but it would have been nice to here them say "NO" and explain why. I realize it's a losing battle, but it doesn't hurt to try.;)

21. John2222

Did you ever get an answer to your question?
    Acronis has a LiveChat for pre-sales questions, so try it and let us know:
    http://www.acronis.com/smb/

22. broderp

No.

I bought a second copy, because I couldn't find anything that works better. I'm tired of the arguement.

So I have it on one Laptop and one PC.

If I need it on a third, I will just UNINSTALL completely on the PC and reinstall it on the third. This way I will only have it on TWO computers at a time, and I have two licences so it's legal. I have not created or used any recovery disks with the second licence on the PC. I did with the laptop.

I'm not aware the licence says anything about having to destroy all backup information (I save them to a USB hard drive) if I unistall. They are useless unless I have the software installed, which I wont until I need to, then I will do my UNINSTALL, REINSTALL process. This way I will not use the Acronis Software on more than one PC by following this process.

My first Licence, I will keep strictly for my Laptop, and have created boot diskc and all, as it is the most used PC in my network.

So far this works for me. If I missed something in the EULA,I'm sure someone please point it out to me.

PS Acronis,,,,,I'm still open to any offers for discount licencing if you want more money, but you will need to take into account I paid $50 for TWO copies, so I will be requesting a even better deal...$15 or less for extra licences. (Like this will ever happen!o_O )

23. foghorne

I think this is fine. The only thing to watch for is if you ever find you are using the recovery CD you have made, on all three computers then you are technically outside the terms of the license.

F.

24. broderp

No, I was sure to re-think about the use of a recovery CD. Even though I think its a grey area, I'd rather not "rattle the cage" and wake up the animals as it were.*puppy*

My other PC's are used for the very basic of tasks, and I may wipe the drive ONCE a year if that. It's part of the reason I didn't feel the need to purchase full price licences for them, but if it comes to it, my procedure above should work. Two of them are CLONES so one image would do both, further simplifying things.

Maybe someday ACRONIS will offer volume licenceing for home users or allow two personal computers to have it installed like Adobe does.

ACRONIS is a GREAT probuct. I have had ZERO issues with it and it has saved my PC from my stupidity at least 5 times already within a 2 week period!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.