LibreOffice

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've never used any portableapps.com software from the USB drive but the speed from the hard disk is better, if not the same as that of the non-portable version.

In both cases, I've removed files that I don't need and trimmed the post-install size to ~250 MB. I don't know if that would help. There's also the App Compactor (mentioned a few posts earlier) which supposedly speeds up things. But that is recommended to be run on software installed on the hard disk. After compaction I guess it would be safe to transfer to the USB stick.

All said and done, being competitive will need them to address the speed issue directly. Average end users can't be expected to fiddle!

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, I'm sure that both the LibreOffice team and the PortableApps.com group will find a solution to this small, but noticeable lag.

The program's file size is not an issue for me since I'm using an 8 GB USB drive and yes, that App Compactor should be used with care!

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

What does anyone think about the eventual future of LibreOffice (LibO)?

From what I have read it will now be the default suite on Ubuntu. Some big names seem to be behind LibO (including Google). It seems to me that LibO was created/forked after some uncertainty about the future of OpenOffice when Sun was acquired by Oracle. As a long time user of OpenOffice I am quite interested in where all of this is going. The good thing about LibO is that it is familiar enough for OO users to easily relate to & use.

So, what are your predictions for the future of LibO?

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Don't know about the future but I hope it's a success.

BTW, I read somewhere that Google and Apple haven't really done more than express support.

I've subscribed to a few of the LibreOffice mailing lists and they have the usual yadda, yadda. Quite intriguing was the lack of consensus about a dedicated forum versus a mailing list.

While using OpenOffice.org, I had found user. services. openoffice. org/en/forum/ to be a great help. They do support (answer queries) about LibreOffice as well.

I really hope the devs slim it down, both in terms of download size and post-install size, especially since there's a feeling they're going in for more frequent releases.

5. Daveski17

Yes, plus it is nice to have an alternative to Oo_Org.

That's about what I have gathered. I believe a few Nix distros &/or their respective distributors are taking it seriously, particularly Canonical & Red Hat I believe.

They have a forum, it seems a tad quiet but people do seem to get back to you.

Yes, a good forum/user services is invaluable.

It is a bit heavy compared to Oo_Org. On my desktop it isn't quite so lightning quick to open as OO. Yet on my laptop I don't see much discernible difference. I quite like the fact that LibO have beaten OO to a British English release of 3.3! ;)

If you don't mind me asking, why did you switch from Oo_Org to LibO? Have you discovered any advantages?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That forum is not "official" (whatever that means).

Well, I've been using OpenOffice.org since version 2.4. Then, when I came to know about portableapps.com, I moved to their version. Unfortunately, since the take-over, they weren't (and still haven't been) given permission to release a new version. You can read about it here and elsewhere in the same forum. I didn't like that at all. So there's reason 1.

Reason 2, which is less important to me, has to do with the other version, Go-OO. There seemed to be some bad blood between Oo_Org and Go-OO. Anyways, Go-OO was supposed to have more features. And Go-OO seems to be playing nice with LibreOffice. So I assume LibreOffice will have more features than Oo_Org.

7. Daveski17

Oh, OK.

And me! (2.4.2)

I have the most recent release of Oo_Org on portable apps. Until now I wasn't aware of the upgrading situation surrounding the portable. Interesting ... *raises an eyebrow in a Mr Spock like fashion*

Well, LibreOffice 'Impress' has more templates for a start. ;)

EDIT: Have you any opinions on OxygenOffice?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I heard of it but haven't used it or tracked it.

9. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

This one preferred office suite of you tube regulars...
    -http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/Main_Page-

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

OxygenOffice contains more
    templates, cliparts, samples, fonts and VBA support.

11. Daveski17

Oddly, OxygenOffice doesn't seem as popular as Oo_Org or LibO though.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  13. Daveski17

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I would hope this has a positive impact. I can't think of any negatives. But open source has managed to shoot itself in the feet often enough in the past. Let's see.

15. Daveski17

Yes, I would hope for something positive. I've used Open Office (& now Libre Office) for quite a while. I did my first 'Powerpoint' presentation with Libre Office's Impress the other day. Who needs to pay the inflated prices of MS when there is perfectly good freeware? :)

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I hope you remembered not to overburden the slides (I don't know what they're called these days) and the audience with too much content! ;)

For those who don't know, there's a forum here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts for most any aspect of OOo or LibO.

17. Daveski17

It went very well, content-wise & software-wise ;), even on the antiquated computer running XP that I was using hooked up to an IW (Interactive Whiteboard). I actually prefer Impress to Powerpoint.

LibreOffice has its own forums.

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Eat more fish! I've mentioned before that that is not official, FWIW. As a matter of "fact", there was a lot of discussion* in the "official" mailing lists about the merits of mailing lists versus a forum but I don't think anything got done "officially" even though the owner of the forum you mentioned has no issues in handing it over to TDF.

* After all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done ;)

19. Daveski17

Oh sorry, that plaice must be the cod-forum. :D

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The highest form of humour ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to upload part of an email on the topic:

Attached Files:

21. Daveski17

Oh, OK .... in MS DOS? ;)

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That, young man, is how I keep my eyes from getting blood-shot. Black text on a white background is a killer for me.

23. Daveski17

Oh, I see. In that case you'd probably like Kairo's Trekkie theme for SeaMonkey. ;)

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's got some nice reviews but ...
    It is for SM and doesn't seem available for Fx
    &
    I've cooked up my own theme and I'm happy with that ... a sort of Frankenstein's Monster with stuff borrowed from all over the place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.