Lets talk some hockey!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by snowbound, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

:'( 33 seconds in 2nd overtime :'(

Remember - The Flames are GOOD "on the road" :eek:

Go Flames GO *puppy*

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

Calgary losses Game 7 ... 2 - 1 :'(

Won or Lost ... the Calgary Flames can hold their heads high! :) as can Calgarians and Canadians! ;) Great effort and a Great run ... it was fun to watch ... Thanks for the Ride :)

There's nothing like cheering on the underdog ... from the not expected to make the playoffs to Stanley Cup Finalist!!! Goes a long way to prove a "smart" organization, can out do a "rich" organization (re: to both Tbay and Calgary)

Good show boys, it was one of the better finals in recent memory!

BTW: I'm back to Go Leafs Go! (2004-2005) ... if there is a season! :doubt:

dog - *puppy*

3. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

I'm WAY outta my league here, but....

Who even knew So Florida had hockey??!!

In person, hockey is a hoot. On TV, it's impossible. We have a minor/minor/minor league team here. Used to sit in seats behind one of the nets. GR8 action! Never realized what terrific athletes the players are until I went to a game in person.

4. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

I agree - well said :D

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

They have been in the league now for about 11 or 12 years i think.

Greatest sport on earth! :cool:
    (u can tell i'm Canadian eh?) :D :D

Even though Calgary didn't win it all, we are all very proud of the team. Just goes to show what a small market team with a lotta heart and determination can do.(are u listening Toronto Maple Leafs) :p

Well dog, you're guess is as good as mine as to whether there will be a season next year or not. :doubt:

If there isn't, i don't think it will hurt the sport much here in Canada but down in the lower 48, this action just might do it in. :eek:

It will be a big mistake all the way around if there is a strike or a lock out. :eek:

Anyways, another great season comes to a close, Calgary did us proud.

New season starts hopefully in about 4 months. ;) :D

snowbound

6. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Help me out here. Without any reasonable prospects of a fat NFL-type or MLB-type TV contract waiting in the wings, do the NHL owners have any real incentive to bargain in good faith with the players? Seems to me that they might just lock them out in order to "bust" the union.

7. snowbound

Exactly.

Owners want a hard Salary cap, Players say no way.... :doubt:

Armageddon is on it's way. :eek:

snowbound

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

Man, I miss Hockey ... can't wait for the World Cup in September!!!

-Draft-

Our Leafs drafted with their first pick - 3 round 90th overall

Goalie
    Justin Pogge
    Date of birth: April 22, 1986
    Place of Birth: Ft. McMurray, Alta., Canada
    HT: 6-3 WT: 183
    Shoots/Catches: L
    NHL Seasons: 0-R
    Drafted by Toronto in 2004 (3/90)

9. snowbound

Yea, i miss hockey too dog..... ;)

Boy, the Leafs sure picked late this year. :eek:

Lots of early picks traded away for all those veterans we acquired the last few years. ;)

The kid looks ok though. Aquiring a Goaltender is good thing as Belfour is aging and the other kids in the system are not quite ready for primetime.

Yes, the World Champions will be a welcome addition to us hockey addicts! :p ;) :D

snowbound

10. dog

dog Guest

Hi Snowbound, ;)

If the NHL continues toward a lockout ... it's starting to seem pretty definite.

Hopefully, TSN, Sportsnet, and The Score ... will sign up more content from ... the OHL, QMJHL , Western and AHL ... they play some fantastic hockey. My Cable provider shows all the Aurora Tigers games ... and Sportnets gives us a lot of Roadrunner games ... but it would be great to see the Baby Leafs & St. Mikes full schedules! ;) ... that would satisfy my hunger.

dog - *puppy*

Ps. Also heard there's a possiblity of a Euro/ N.A. game at Skydome in the event of a lock out ... roof open to boot ... in December

Brings back wonderful memories of the Heritage Classic! - enjoy the Art!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2004
  11. dog

dog Guest

Hmmmm Snowbound .... Bad news looks like the Eagle flew the coop :oops: :'(

12. snowbound

I hadn't heard that, damn. :'(

I fear a few of the other Veterans will do the same thing, ie: Joe and Gary.... :doubt:

snowbound

13. dog

dog Guest

No apparently ... both are close to signing ... as is Marchment

The Eagle line is ... Talks are off atm ... Leafs are balking at a 3yr deal ... they are going to try after the deadline ... They're assuming that Eddie has no where else to go .... St. Louis got Lalime ... Ottawa to sign Hasek ... NY say's they've learned their lesson and will stay out of the FA market ... Hmmm ... still hope but slight ...Eddie can carry a grudge! :(

dog - *puppy*

14. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

In case you didn't know, the state of TX won more professional sports championships in the 90's than ANY other state in the Union. Dallas Stars, Dallas Cowboys, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets.

Dallas Stars will someday RULE AGAIN!! :D

P.S. Go Mike Modano! :-*

Attached Files:

• top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  15. dog

dog Guest

Hi D&C, ;)

You seem to conviently leave out ... the Astro's & Texas Ranger's ... oh, wait ... I see no championships ... LOL :D

I wish our teams could have success like that ... Leafs 39yrs and counting, Jays not since '92 ... and still sliding downhill ... Raptors ... have taken over the title the laughing stock of the league ... from The Clippers ....

Man, now I'm depressed! :'( :oops: ;) :D But still hoping and cheering ... no one can knock me off the bandwagon ... heck I think I'm driving it! :D

dog - *puppy*

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have a friend that would walk over broken glass to see the Astro's. Loyal to the max. He always has hope for them.

17. dog

dog Guest

I can sympathize with that! :'(

Go Leafs Go! I'm not gonna live FOREVER! ;) :blink: :ninja:

18. Dazed_and_Confused

Your right there. Left off other teams as well, although Dallas Mavericks are improving.

19. dog

dog Guest

Yes, Mark Cuban has the bucks! and they got front office staff that seem to know what they're doing ... :)

the Leafs are still falling victim to the curse's of Ballard and Conn Smyth! :mad:

hmmm .... we should start a general sports thread ... this one's going off topic ... not that I mind, though ;)

dog - *puppy*

20. Dazed_and_Confused

Agreed. This thread seems to be suffering from what ails the sport of Hockey - apathy and a lack of spectators. From what I've read in the news, the pro sport may not be around for long. Especially if there is a strike.

21. dog

dog Guest

Hi D&C, ;)

Yah, In the (southern) state's I'd agree with that! But up North ... in CanukVille (Canada) ... it's our greatest National passion! We breath, sleep, eat ... Hockey ... if you know what I mean ... Heck, if I get a cut ... I bleed Maple Leaf blue ... it just pulses thru our veins! ;) :D :cool: ... Hockey will never die out here! ;) We're born with it!

dog - *puppy*

22. Dazed_and_Confused

Hey, Dog!

Don't get me wrong. I know the sport will never die. Some in the media here question whether the NHL will make it financially.

Personally, I'm really not that big a fan of hockey. Just not that big in TX (relative to other sports) you know - no ice! But I love everything that's Texas. So to me, the Stars are #1!

23. dog

dog Guest

Hi D&C, ;)

No, I understood what you were saying ... and I agree .... a lockout will be devastating to the NHL ... some of the US teams, I think wouldn't recover from it ... Phoenix, Panthers, (yes, even TBay), Carolina, LA Kings, Sharks, Buffalo, Pittsburg, etc. .... Teams that wouldn't be affect ... All the Canadian teams, The other (4 US) Original Six teams - Detroit, Boston, NY Rangers, Chicago, others teams probably not affect NY Islanders, Philly, Dallas, the AVs ... None the less, it certainly WILL be a mistake! by both the NHL & the NHLPA ;)

Sorry, if you took me other than I intended ... It's just the passion I have for the game ... I wasn't offended by anything you said ... Actually I agree with it for the most part. Sorry if my post seemed to be worded a little strong ... it wasn't my intent, just my passion. Please accept my apology D&C ;) :)

dog - *puppy*

24. Dazed_and_Confused

No apology necessary, Dog. We both agree also. But since I am such novice on Hockey issues, I'm heading back to the "Golf" forum where I'm halfway knowledgeable on the subject, even though I can't play that sport worth a flip either. See you around ! :)

25. dog

dog Guest

Novice, New etc. is no excuse to leave ... How else are we supposed to turn you into a rabid fan? :D .... I know the Hockey season is over game wise ... but there's still issues to discuss ... Lockout, free agency, rule changes, ... plus it's a great place to ask questions and learn, and learn more! novice, expert a like ... please post all you like ... questions, comments, whatever comes to mind. ;) No thread at Wilders' says experts only ... well other than replying to HJT threads. ;)

BTW ... I know sqat about soccer (and post in that thread) ... thanks to Slammer's Soccer thread ... I learned a lot, and in the end it made watching Euro 2004, a whole bunch more fun!

dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.