Let's Talk About System Safety Monitor:):)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Thanks. I forgot about that change.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

noone_particular, you're welcome! Take care.

3. Ujjwala

Ujjwala Registered Member

Thanks noone_particular for sending the key.I had no choice but to put forth the email address because of the nature of PM for newer members.
    Anyway the license is for which version:
    1).SSM-2.4.0.621.exe or
    2).SSM-2.4.0.622-beta.exe

I have downloaded the beta.But it is not a signed version. Is it safe to install it. Will this key work on SSM-2.4.0.621. Which is more stable SSM-2.4.0.621 or SSM-2.4.0.622-beta.

Thanks chinook9 I was not aware of that.Is there any way to remove my posted email-ID/post to avoid junk mails.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ujjwala, I de-linked your email address to prevent spam, however, are you asking to remove it entirely? I can do that, if that's your request.

5. Ujjwala

I will be thankful if you either remove my email-ID or the post containing it.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ujjwala, as requested, your email address has been removed. Your post remains, because it has been answered by other members.

7. noone_particular

The license will work on all 2.4 versions. The primary difference between 621 and 622 is the beginning of Vista support, which is the reason for the "beta" status. On XP and older systems, they're stable. I've used both and have had 622 installed on my 2K box since its release.
    If it helps, here's the MD5 for 2.4.0.622.
    8b0879140ace2e46f4c1800d083404d2

8. Ujjwala

I have installed SSM on my Windows XP Pro desktop and is working just fine. It is now my one of the most liked programs.

Unfortunately its development is stopped. But I can bet that if its development continued it could be the most powerful HIPS program :thumb:

At present I also use Comodo Internet Security(CIS 4) on my another PC having Windows XP Pro OS. Its Defense+ is also very strong HIPS program. CIS is now available with Sandbox technology. But I don't use Sandbox. I know this thread is for System Safety Monitor but I want some answers/suggestions. I would be really thankful for your precious suggestions.

1). Can I install another HIPS program after disabling my previous existing HIPS program ? (for example disabling CIS 4 Defense+ and installing SSM and vice versa)

Can they co-exist stably(without modifying other) in a PC with one enabled (and another disabled) at one time ? I am asking this in context of two strong HIPS programs.

2). Can I install WinPatrol PLUS alongside SSM ?

3). Can I install WinPatrol PLUS alongside Comodo Internet Security (CIS 4) ?

I think since WinPatrol PLUS is a light HIPS program so it can be used alongside a strong HIPS program. But I want your opinion about it.

Actually I want to use WinPatrol PLUS alongside CIS because of the features which are not in CIS.

Thanks.

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

1: I never would advise it. The HIPSs install in a very low level in the system, in the kernel, ecc..., and in many ways: it is not always possible to disable completely an HIPS and, also if it is disabled, it inhabits again the system. This can limit or block the second HIPS, or make a conflict.

2 and 3: I believe yes, but I don't see the benefit: WinPatrol isn't an HIPS, and his light functions are much better assured by an HIPS.

If you want to enhance your security, get another different layer, like a virtualising or sandboxing program.

10. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

Using two HIPS won't give you more protection. On the downside you make your system vulnerable because of possible conflicts. Am I right?

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Nobody knows what the outcome will be. That's the issue. The potential for conflict, both seen and unseen, is arguably high. In practice, some HIPS may work ok together, but you can never really know whether they are or aren't. So avoid it where possible.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes it is posible to disable but first disable the hips from the tray icon all protection posible then disable the service and start up program(gui) using msconfig tool;) reboot and then install what ever you want,i have done this with no problem.

yes you can run winpatrol alond side with any hips or any programs with out any isues:thumb:

note:yes some times you can have to hips for example i run MD and Pe Guard but the heck with alot of pop ups:argh: they both made drunk after seeing all pop ups infront of my face:D

note:some hips may cause alot of harm to your system even worse than a virus,so if you do want to try be cautious at your own risk:)

13. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

very nicely said..:thumb:

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the best way to learn is try or before frying listen to others;)

15. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Ujjwala,

To answer #2 - I'm running SSM alongside WP+ on a XP SP3 system without any problems. And I agree that it was and still is one of the best - wish the development could have continued, miss it on Win7.

To answer your other questions, you should post a new thread asking about CIS and what actually happens when disabling Defense +

This thread probably won't attract enough CIS users since SSM is not widely used.

16. noone_particular

When more than one security app uses kernel level components, there's always the possibility for a conflict. A combination might work on one system and crash the next. There's no way to know for sure without trying them. Just make a system backup first. If more than one such app is used and one of them auto-updates, it's entirely possible for an update to cause a conflict in apps that got along earlier. When AntiVir first added their rootkit module to their AV, it worked with SSM just fine. That week they updated it. The day after, I had 3 PCs that needed to have that rootkit module removed. There's no way to know if or when it might happen.

17. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

i need ssm key plz....

18. noone_particular

Check your messages.

19. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

thank u..:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.