Let's say someone stole my computer, what could they do?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by CrusherW9, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Let's say someone stole my computer and had access to my un-encrypted Windows boot drive. Removing/changing passwords on a Windows account is trivial so say they do so and thus have full access to it. All of my files are stored on other hard drives and we'll just say they are encrypted so that's not a factor. What information would someone be able to extract and what could they realistically do with it?

NOTE: My computer did not get stolen. This is just hypothetical.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Is your question related to TrueCrypt? Or is it "what could somebody do with my (unencrypted) files?"

3. CrusherW9

What could somebody do with my (unencrypted) files. But, all my documents, pictures, music, and videos are stored on a different hard drive. So basically what information is left that could be used maliciously?

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

OK I'll bite. Using forensic tools such as Encase they could basically see almost everything you have done with the computer since the last time you wiped it (if ever). Windows creates a trail that would amaze you if you saw how thoroughly it betrays your privacy at the forensic level. This fact is why hardened security folks insist on WDE with a quality product, such as TrueCrypt, which was mentioned above this post. Perhaps someone knowing what you have done with it and deployed on it doesn't scare you at all. If so, then you won't care. This is not a hype post. I have access to EnCase and those with LE backgrounds to assist me. Windows is much like a video recorder of what you do.

5. CrusherW9

After thinking about this a bit more, I realise this is kind of a dumb question. Basically what it comes down to is this: If I gave someone my boot drive with no password, would I be okay with what they find/can do? If not, secure the things I don't like. The main thing I'm worried about is persistent logins to all of the various services I use. A great Chrome extension would be one that automatically unchecks the "Remember me" boxes on sites. This way I can keep the 2-factor cookies and still require a password to login.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

They'd maybe browse over it quickly, find nothing interesting, then format it for their own purposes or trash it. Unless they had reason to believe you had something really interesting to hide, they wouldn't bother with forensics on it.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

This. Most will do either these two things.
    1. Reformat and use it.
    2. Reformat and sell it.

8. MrBrian

9. CrusherW9

Is there a way to keep the cookies required for two factor authentication but get rid of everything else? Also, thanks for the links.

10. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

I don't use Chrome, but I would hope there's an extension for selective cookie protection upon deletion, if the core product can't do it.

11. CrusherW9

I looked at a handful of the most popular ones and none could do it, or atleast, I didn't see any options to do so. I guess I'll post in the Chrome Extensions thread.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Click & Clean

-https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickclean/ghgabhipcejejjmhhchfonmamedcbeod?hl=en

There's an option: Cookies to keep

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Not much, lets assume, that you have cookies and you are logged in, the most websites do not allow changing a password or an email for recovery without actually entering a current password, so yes they could browse for a while, write on FB, that have a married someone of the same sex and so on. Unless you would have your credit card details in txt on the desktop, I can not really think of anything. If they would try to pretend to be you and commit a digital crime, you would be covered by reporting the theft.

14. CrusherW9

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

16. CrusherW9

I tried this out but it didn't work how I was expecting. How do I set this so that it keeps ONLY the SMSV cookie from Facebook instead of all cookies from Facebook?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.