Lenovo used a hidden Windows feature to ensure its software could not be deleted

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Aug 12, 2015.

1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Considering past experiences and knowledge, I've grown myself not to trust any commercial entity at all. Some small companies that have 20 employees have done this kind of nasty thing, and some big players like Lenovo too. It doesn't matter how big the company is, if the boss wants more money he/she WILL do things to get to it, and in most cases they don't even know where they're getting into and what they're doing, because they only care about the money.

I suggest that people buy COREBOOT chips and start learning how to replace their BIOS, if they want SOME degree of privacy with this kind of company. If you look at it, you'll spend less time and resources by buying the chips and learning how to solder (not that hard) then if you were learning how to remove this crapware or if you were de-compiling the BIOS just to see what it actually does.

Community-control is what matters when it comes to technology. Too bad that I'll probably have to stick with Windows for now, because AMD support for Linux is pure crap. And then, of the few distros that have Catalyst in their repos, most can't handle it properly, like how a few Debian maintainers are doing a poor job with Catalyst's OpenCL packages.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

As a counter balance to this thread; I would like to mention that older ThinkCentre/Pads are excellent Linux machines. Debian, Arch, Ubuntu run like a swiss watch on their boards. I have purchased a few older ones and after stripping them down and loading them with custom spec installs, they are solid. Wireshark never sees anything "going on" unless I am missing something. I believe all the vulnerabilities discussed in this thread have NO application to a machine converted to a linux box. My hardware (even when Windows was on it originally) is not on the list.

I added this post to the thread because when a Windows user finally gets tired of looking over his/her shoulder all the time, they may want to consider a lenovo as their linux machine. I cannot believe how much I don't miss Windows for private use!

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.