Lenovo just offered BIOS Update ThinkPad Edge E540

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by zapjb, Jan 15, 2018.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Lenovo System Update popup on my ThinkPad Edge E540.
    BIOS Updated s 11111111111Cyyyapture.jpg mooth as silk.
    Lenovo is Awesome!

Ashampoo Spectre Meltdown CPU Checker 1.0.0.7

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Usually I would agree. However, when I go to Lenovo's support site, they no longer even list my two Thinkpads.

I was not expecting BIOS updates, due to the age of them, but they don't even offer drivers for them, unless I visit Lenovo's Chinese website.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Congratulations. :) Hopefully no performance impacts, but glad it went without problems. I'm still waiting for my Y900 model; hopefully, it will happen within the next week or so.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@Roger m - What model? And do you have Lenovo's SYSTEM UPDATE program installed? That's how I received it.

5. roger_m

The models are T410 and X61s. Both models are not going to receive BIOS updates, due to their age, as can be seen here. I was just surprised that Lenovo has recently removed the support page for both models.

6. guest

guest Guest

Nothing yet for my Lenovo Yoga 520

7. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Anybody seeing anything for ------- > Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530

I am running all linux so I have to watch their site manually for any bios updates. If they put out a fixed bios for E540 that is awfully close to their E530 in generations. Crossing fingers for a fixed bios. Last one I am seeing on their site for E530 is from 2016. If anyone sees one can you please do a "reply" on this post so I get an alert?

8. roger_m

It looks like it won't be getting an update, as it's not listed on the following support page.
    https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/len-18282

It appears that Lenovo are only providing BIOS updates for computers released in 2012 or later. Your model was released in 2011, so misses out.

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

how are you going about flashing the bios in linux.....?

10. Palancar

Pretty easy actually. Lenovo provides a CDR/DVD iso version (under a 100 meg always) for their bios upgrades. Obviously you can write a bootable USB using that iso too. Just verify the sha256 and burn the iso image to a CDR. Now you can fully control the bios process independent of any operating system. I personally like using optical upgrades over the conventional way. I don't have to worry about any OS malfunction and since I have laptops I don't have the dreaded fear of a power outage at the worst time during the process. I have nightmares about "bricking" machines during bios upgrades. Optical (no OS needed) upgrades allow for super control. My opinion.

Sucks that the E530 won't get an upgraded bios.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. klarm

klarm Registered Member

this link that is for lenovo on this thread is not working for me. I don't know why.

I have these Lenovo laptops in the family that I'm not sure if I can expect updates:

lenovo Z50-70 (i3)
    lenovo idepad z470 (i5)
    lenovo ideaPad Y570 (i7)
    lenovo thinkpad edge e125 (AMD dual-core processor E-350) - for this one I'm not even sure if it's affected. where can I check this?

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Evidently having problems with their site. https://download.lenovo.com/supportdata/index.html

13. roger_m

The link is working for me. But unfortunately, none of your laptops are listed.
    https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/len-18282

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Neither is my little B50-30 notebook. :(

15. Palancar

If Lenovo holds their line on 2012 or newer I may edit/patch my own bios. I have edited them before, and in fact I hate the "whitelist" on Lenovo's stuff. I think these patches are simple ones. e.g. I could download the E540 before and after bios versions and then do a compare. Hesitant of course, but I have done several in the past and its not that tough to do.

Can anyone say BRICK - LOL!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.