Lenovo IdeaPad Y570-Best Laptop I've owned so far!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by berryracer, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Actually, the link from Costco provided by LenC is to a Z570. They also sell a Y570 but it's around $300 more.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't think it will be an issue. I'm sure that USB 3 comes in handy to speed things up if you have to transfer a lot of files too or from a USB external harddrive. But, other than that I can't see much need for it.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

To be honest, I have 2 free USB ports and have never EVER used them even once!

I'm always connected to my 2.0 USB port and that's all I need.

It is only in he rare even that you have one of these new USB 3.0 port external HDDs is that you will benefit from it

Just for toe the model I have which is a Y570 with 2 USB ports

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Well, if it turns out that model does not have a USB 3.0 port, he still has eSATA to fall back on right? That's not too shabby and it really does look like a nice laptop, at a good price.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I will decide over the next day or so between this configuration and a Lenovo T520. Right now I'm leaning toward the T520.

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi LenC,

Just being curious ;) ; have you decided? which one?
    And what's the quality of the screen?

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

FanJ -

Sorry for the delayed response - I just noticed your post. I wound up with a Lenovo Thinkpad. I liked the sturdiness of the construction - it looks like it will hold up well.

I've had several glitzy looking laptops in the past and had all sorts of problems with the hardware - hinge issues on the display etc. And I'm not particularly hard on a computer - most of the time it sits on my desk.

It's the E530 model - cost $616. I've had it a month - really pleased with it.

Len

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

ThinkPads are built tougher than regular laptops. :D
    They look really old school, like laptops from 5 or more years ago.:rolleyes:

10. roger_m

In my opinion that's a good thing. I do realise that it's a matter of personal preference, but I think the design of the Thinkpads is really nice, and prefer it to the design of a lot of other laptops. I particuarly like that they don't use a glossy finish. Glossy finishes look great until you actually touch them - and then of course the fingerprints really stand out.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah it's all personal preference, personally i like ultrabooks design, the only downside is that almost all of them do not have replaceable battery. :thumbd: :ouch:

12. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I don't care if it looks like a shoe box - as long as it lasts. That having been said, I actually like the look of the Thinkpad. But as Noob said, it's a personal preference thing.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The ThinkPads have an old school yet classy look. Maybe it's in my mind. :rolleyes:

14. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Do any of them offer Linux pre-installed?

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The Y570 is really a great machine. I was going to pick one up myself, but I've decided to wait a while.

Posting from a Sony right now. Can't recommend them.

16. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Don't bro. I decided to sell off my machine after3 months of using it

the main problem with it is, although it is a great machine, it has a tendency to downlclock the GPU randomly especially if u take out the battery and run on AC Power only. I always have my battery out since I want to keep my battery's health optimum sothat was a bi deal breaker

it downclocks the GPU while you're watching a movie or playing a game

I dont play games, but I run my videos using a little addition to MPC-HC called Smooth Video Project which uses your GPU to give you 60 FPS playback for your movies which result in superior quality and realism and while watching movies using SVP on my Y570, sometimes it randomly drops the framerate

I tried many tweaks such as setting the CPU @ 100 min state all the time and upgrading the drivers + BIOS but no luck

I then bought the below machine and I'm very happy with it. Superior performance, lovely 17.3 inch screen, and not very expensive for the specs (2000 USD)

ASUS G75VW-T1086V

CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz.

Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM

Storage: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3GB

Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen

17. roger_m

That is most likely due to the included power management software - it is running slower to extend battery life. There is some information on configuring it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.