legit or not

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 2good, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2good

2good Guest

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

The links were not meant to be public therefore not legit

3. 2good

2good Guest

thanks for the info I knew its too good to be true but the world is a crazy place.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There's nothing wrong at all with them, it's very much allowed to download these ISO's. Now whether these particular links work properly, I can't say, but there's nothing illegal about them. You can go on any P2P website right now and download the entire Win 7 edition of whatever you currently have (not that I'm saying that's safe, but it is legal). The license key is the factor here, the software isn't what you pay for.

All restore CDs ever were were copies of the OS (plus whatever crap the vendor chose to install), getting a copy from these links or elsewhere is no different. Have a legit key and the correct edition? You're in the clear. Grab a stolen key for your current or any different edition? That's where it's a no no.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Except that MS does not allow anybody to distribute Windows in such manner so legal it is not.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There are several non-P2P places to get these for free, legit places, so you don't need the illegal P2P method anyway (not that it's any different, but whatever). As I said, what matters is the key itself.

7. 2good

2good Guest

actually I bought a lenovo pc last year it did not come with a windows CD but it has a time machine installed that when you run it it takes you back to the original state that the pc came in & I do have a windows key from microsoft but not an operating system CD.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You have to watch those rollback-type things they install on the drive (My gateway has the same deal..what ever happened to just sticking a restore cd in with your system?). If something happens to the drive or the wrong thing gets infected, you're hosed. Look, whether or not the distribution method is legit, the software itself is. You have a key, a bought one. The only thing different is that you didn't walk into Best Buy or some place and pay 100+ bucks for a box that held the key.

What's in the EULA of MS and what is illegal as in against state/Federal law, can be two different things. The link site may get in trouble (though so far they're still there), you won't. Your call to make, no one else.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It is in fact very legal.

10. 2good

2good Guest

I am not looking for anything illegal as a matter of fact I don't even use p2p I could very well afford a hundred dollar cd which I would rather have especially for upgrading the pc . I was just curious how they could post a link to these CD's I even saw it on gHack, so just wondering more than anything.

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is? What is that fact?

12. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Most sites alllow you to download Microsoft Windows, and this also inculudes the Microsoft site. Even, if one downloads, let us say the Windows 7 Professional Edition, this Edition can be turned into all Editions by simply changing the .cfg file before burning it to either DVD or USB.

So, on installation one will get a menu with all Editions presented to him/her and based on the legat key one will pick the correct Edtion for installation.

Also, each laptop comes with two legat keys. One legat key which is OEM and only works with the OEM supplied Windows operating system. And, the other legit key is under the laptop and works with the downloaded Windows.

Best regards,

KOR!

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone can use those links they install as a trial just like any av software would.

14. aladdin

Good question.

You are allowed to use Windows 7 and Windows Vista for 30 days, without installin a key. You can install these Windows without a key.

Best regards,

KOR!

15. aladdin

For Office 2010, you are allowed 6 times for 30 days, which is 180 days.

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It is the responsibility of the people hosting the files to ensure they are complying to the terms and conditions (if they have any) from Microsoft to redistribute the ISO.
    It may be that the terms of the agreement are broken between the distributor and Microsoft, but without extensive knowledge of contract law, a full copy of the agreement it would be hard to know if making these ISO breaks the terms of the agreement and as a result breaches any contract laws.

How would the above apply to a user downloading file and how would it make it illegal (and not forget this depends on laws of your country) ?

Cheers, Nick

17. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Afaik, DigitalRiver is an official Microsoft distribution partner. This is the party hosting those OS files. (Just as they did for Vista versions). (Digital River press release link)
    On an other site I frequently use; US-based NotebookReview.com/NBR they also have the download links for the DigitalRiver Windows 7 version available with detailed explanation on how to repack and burn the OS files.

NBR is pretty strict on posting download links regarding software.
    Even if there is the slightest hint of non-legality, links will be removed.
    However, the DigitalRiver links have always been allowed.
    For years, links for Vista versions were posted also, along with explanations on how to use, repack and burn those downloaded files.
    If there had been any legal issue on posting that info, NBR would have stepped in immediately imo.

I can only state, as an example, that for instance in the Netherlands, if you build your own computer, you're allowed to buy a wholesale-priced Windows OS version; you are regarded as a 'system builder'.
    Considering the OS purchase, you have the same legal position as if you were a retailer selling computers.
    Therefore you are also allowed to download those DigitalRiver Windows OS versions afaik.
    Then again, I don't know if everyone here builds his own rig ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is indeed and nobody is disputing that. My question was in relation to P2P distribution where from quote was taken out of context.
    In any case I suggest an email to the arbiter and let them decide.
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx
    "A letter may be sent to the company stating that they have been reported for allegedly distributing Microsoft software in an unauthorized manner..
    .."

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

OK, understood, P2P distribution is a no-go as far as legal matters are concerned.
    But I'll give Microsoft a warning about possible unauthorized distribution when they'll actually seize practices as those super-cookies which they distributed among their customers without getting their authorization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.