Legal: refusing to give psw at immigration

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dogbite, Jan 11, 2014.

1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Because the requirement to get hired is High School Diploma and sadly that level of education is equivalent to 5th grade elementary school in Europe or Asia. Understandably the TSA IQ level (which is related to education) is below average to world standards. Pretty scary if you really think about that. You got bunch of smarter than 5th graders wanna be in charge of airport security.

2. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

No, it has never happened to me. Of course, I do not have set a password. I had to switch my notebook on now and then, but if that works, they let you go. Anyway, I have nothing to hide, since my data is encrypted on a tiny Transcend memory stick that I hide behind my credit cards.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Better yet, leave that memory stick home unless you really have to travel with it.

4. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

Sorry, it is a Silicon Power Touch 830 with the following dimensions: 35 x 12.3 x 3.5 mm. (Capacity: 32 GB) It is so tiny, nobody will notice it. I even can leave a backup in the suitcase. But I need my data! I am not on the cloud.

5. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

6. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

It doesn't matter that it burns relatively slowly when it is confined it is a different story, he is lucky he wasn't killed by it himself while making it.

7. hidden

hidden Registered Member

Suppose I cross the border, or run around the country, with an encrypted device. I don't know the password and so CAN'T give it up.

At some time after the crossing and customs, only then does corporate headquarters or my cryptobuddy send me the password securely at my or a third party's request, or when I am deemed safe to get this key (not in custody). This would not prevent confiscation or penalties for encryption, but a standard notice like "Cashier doesn't have the keys" might avoid a lot of pressure at the border.

"Who does have the key?"
    "I don't know, it just arrives."

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You lose the device, methinks ;)

9. driekus

driekus Registered Member

I prefer to take factory wiped phone with me through customs. When I get to my destination I restore through encrypted secure means. Customs agents look at you a little funny when you give them a factory wiped phone but there is very little they can do. I also do smuggle encrypted SD Cards through in my baggage in some cases.

10. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

My company's policy is to provide a blank Yubikey used for Windows login TFA, so that we are unable to access our business accounts until the Yubikey is reconfigured the other end via cloud. If they want to go through due process to get the information, then they need to apply to the company in the normal way - I can provide the password, but have no way of accessing the account until the Yubikey is configured. There is also an account unprotected by TFA which allows for personal browsing etc, but has no access to the encrypted business data.

I've also heard of companies who have a standard PC build, taking the hdd out and replacing it the other end.

It's all very silly.

11. quietman

quietman Registered Member

There was a minor development on this issue posted on the EFF website recently.

Judge Sets Limits On ‘Invasive’ Searches Of Travelers’ Laptops At The Border

Nothing that really changes the big picture , but a step in the right direction maybe .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.