Learning to use....

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nixie21, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I have a question, I read the manual and just a little confused.

The primary snapshot (created on install) = computer in current state
    I create a secondary from the primary = computer in current state, does not change

What is the purpose of the primary now, what is happening to it?

If I am using FDISR for recovery only, why would I use more than 2 snapshots? I would think everytime I installed new programs or made big changes, I would overwrite the secondary one (once I was sure it was safe!)

I see it is (I believe) $69 (or close) is this a one time fee and does it include upgrades?

Thanks so much for any help! Look like a great program and I want to use it as much as possible during the trial.

2. nixie21

Ok, I was reading another thread and think I understand. The Primary snapshot is your working computer, for lack of better term, it is always changing depending on what you install, save whatever. Your secondary is there for an emergency. You want to update your secondary one whenever you make major changes to the primary, but not until you are sure the changes are all good. For this reason, 3 snapshots would be best. The primary, the secondary, and make a third one to keep for a while until you know the changes were good, then you can update the secondary.... Is this correct?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nixie

That is close to the way I work. What I do is have my Primary snapshot which has all my software, data everything in it. But instead of a full secondary snapshot, I use an archive on another disk, so I have my Primary snapshot, and primary archive. Then I have a secondary snapshot, that is stripped down. Just windows and enough security that it safe for it to be exposed to the web. I never update the secondary.

When I want to make a change, that I am not sure about, I do a copy/update of the archive. Make the change. Then like you said if I like it I again update the archive. If I don't like it, I boot to the secondary snapshot, and update the primary snapshot from the archive.

I do this for several reasons. First it reduces the size of the data on my disk drive, so when I take a disk image it is smaller. Secondly the time to update snapshot to archive or archive to snsapshot is significantly less then snapshot to snapshot.

As you can start to see the way you work with FDISR is only limited by your imagination.

Now as to upgrades. What I do is pay Raxco the annual maintanence fee. I can't tell you the exact cost, as I have 3 licenses of both Perfect Disk, and FDISR, and they rolled it all into one. Raxco is only one of two company I'd pay this fee to, as their support is superb.

Pete

4. nixie21

Peter2150:

Hmmm, let me see if I understand. You have your primary, and a minimal secondary (I need to learn how you make this one!) and you update the archive on another disk (instead of another snapshot). If the primary gets destroyed, you boot to the secondary, then I may be wrong here, create a new snapshot FROM the archive and then boot to that one? Making this the new primary. You do this to save disk space for the image file, I have TI so this sounds good.

Is this correct?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Nixie, I purchased FD three years ago, I don't remember the version anymore ... I have NEVER, at least yet, had to pay for an upgrade. :thumb:

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Almost. The primary never really gets destroyed. It may get messed up bad enough it won't boot, so yes I boot to secondary, but I just do a copy/update from the primary archive, back to the Primary snapshot, regardless of its condition. FDISR fixes it fine.

The way I made my stripped snapshot, was I built it when the machine was new. Now what I'd do is create a ful secondary, boot to it, and the start merrily deleting software from it, until it was stripped down.

Pete

7. nixie21

Good idea for the secondary (for me), thanks...very cool - you would only need to use this to boot and copy the archive, so everything can be uninstalled, right?

So at any time I want, I can copy/rebuild the primary from the archive?

Is there any other advantage doing it this way besides saving space? Disadvantages?

Also, where are the snapshots? Can I look at them as if they were a file?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.