lavasoft support

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dread, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread Registered Member

2. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

Only know that the support forum is down for a software upgrade, time unknown for completion, this sounds very familair from past announcements.
    As and when it suits them, sorry if I sound cynical, been there more or less from the beginning.

I really do hope you find your answer, the forum members never had the courtesy of being told it was going down for an upgrade? as they call it.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

4. chew

chew Registered Member

I don't know what Lavasoft is doing but they have posted a note saying that they're doing some upgrading to their server or forum that's all. So I will just wait for them to resume.

But ... but ... I downloaded the latest zip def (SE1R39 15.04.2005) for Ad-aware SE (free version) just now but when I checked after I upzipped it ... my def. was still the same i.e. SE1R38. I hope this is just a temporary problem and they will fix it soon.

hmmm ... all I can say is try not to rely on Ad-aware alone ... try Ewido, A-Square, Spybot S&D, MSAS, etc.

Until they formally announce something I assume they are still able to support or at least provide update to Ad-aware SE (Free Version).

hmmm ... don't know about you ... but when I was reading something on WinXP SP2 installation procedures somewhere on Microsoft website (I might be wrong ... ) I think one of the instruction given on the website was that if you were not doing a clean installation (I assume reformatting) you should at least scan it with Ad-aware to remove possible malwares before installing WinXP SP. Well if that statement was not some sort of strong endorsement ... then I guess I am totall wrong. So does that mean ... Lavasoft is gearing up to serve MS now? I mean like Giant AntiSpyware? Or in preparation to be absorbed by MS?

(The above is merely my amateur analysis only ... I might just be talking hot air only ... so you have to decide for yourself ...)

d;-)

P/s: I hope I am not adding more fuel to fire ... Mod delete as appropriate.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Chew,

I downloaded and unzipped the def. file and it shows up afterwards like in my screenshot (after restarting).
    Cheers,

Gerard

Attached Files:

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Correct, there are some discussions going on about Lavasoft...on practically every self-respecting securityboard on the planet :) I presume.

It seems that the good times are over...and the adaware free users are the mainvictims here...that means a serious fallback for security minded members who don't have the money to purchase subscriptions...and for that mather the hjt experts who will have a tougher job without AdAware...

It's kinda interesting...and in my point of view it started again whit the the various delisting of malware, or wait...it was listed again *sic*...

I uninstalled AdAware...and Giant...pfffff: both paid software....we'll see what we come up with :)

Sincerely

Inf.

7. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I have purchased Adware before 6 months but i fel very sorry as im not satisfied. Updated every 4-5 days and cant catch everything.

8. BlueZannetti

Stephanos,

As is clearly evident from the tests performed and presented here, none of the antispyware applications provide anywhere near the comprehensive level of coverage seen in the AV and/or AT area. It's the nature of the beast. AdAware is a very solid application.

The company clearly needs better communications to it's customer base. It also needs some assistance on how to administer a user forum and how to best transition to a new portal (assuming that is their objective). Taking the forums offline as they have is an amateurish approach at best. I'd expect that of a small operation, not a commercial enterprise. They should have constructed/tested offline, synchronized the content, then quickly transitioned.

Blue

9. Infinity

It seems that there are other reasons for being offline if I can read between the lines...no offense intended Blue...

Inf.

10. BlueZannetti

None taken Infinity.

I'd try to read between the Lavasoft lines, but they seem so obscure at times :)

Blue

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

LOL...Me too, i have followed the somewhat heated debate at some of the forums and it amases me how Lavasoft treats their users, in particular Mr. Wood, who should have no problem finding work as a spindoctor if/when Lavasoft goes down, i do hope they will right the ship though.

Another ting i've wondered about is who actually own or control this company or is it several company's? i mean you got Lavasoft/Nicholas Stark computing AB, there's Michael A Wood (PR?), Ane Christine Åkelund (supposedly MD?) and Nicolas Stark who created/owns it? and who has not uttered a word through all of this debate, but according to ex-personel is a sweetheart who has nothing other in mind, than protecting users around the world from spyware.

If this is true then maybe it's time for Mr Stark to come out of his Howard Hughes hideaway and address the situation. :)

I personally got rid of my initial paranoia about all this, have reinstalled Ad-Aware and will continue to recommend the free version to friends with spyware among other products, it's on the Pelotas-observation list for the next year though, so this could change quickly. ;) :)

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

It's not surprising to me. If you'll remember, PestPatrol did exactly the same thing with their forum a good while back.

A forum - by definition - is a place for the open exchange of information and ideas - a place to ask hard questions and expect straight answers. When that's not what a company wants (as in the cases of PP and AA) shutting down the forum (and destroying all the previous negative content) is simply a way of making their "past" disappear. (Very convenient, isn't it?).

Oh, the AA "forums" may open again some time or another (or they may not). I just wonder how efficient the gathering of new threats is going to be now that all the "free" version users' are out of the loop.

I also wonder what other things are going to get "de-listed" without notice by Lavasoft - and why - and hope that there'll be those who keep checking the updates from them to see what, if anything, does get removed from detection.

Because, IMO, after the WhenU fiasco and now the closing of the forums - you certainly can't trust AdAware's management anymore (if you even did to start with after all their previous debacles, that is).

The "de-listing" of Lavasoft by A.S.A.P ( http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=3841 ) was quite proper - and probably the most damning indictment of Lavasoft's current policy of "I don't care about the user."

How sad. Pete

13. BlueZannetti

Regardless of the state of the Lavasoft support forums, AdAware remains an excellent tool in the fight against spyware. That is something we should not forget.

Their situation will be sorted out eventually. In the meantime, the Lavasoft forum volunteers have admirably picked up the slack, see Corrine's post here. I prefer to focus on the positive. As long as people such as Corrine stay in the mix, AdAware will be in good shape and an excellent option for users.

Blue

14. Infinity

true, they have some very qualified admins/mods/experts and afaik they should be honoured for helping thousands and thousands of members all over the world

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I would like to give the Lavasoft folks the time to sort things out, whatever they might be.

We have to keep in mind how many people are using the freeware version and how much money the bandwidth for updating only must cost them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005
  16. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

It's certainly a little sad to wonder if Lavasoft are really going to be leaving free users out in the cold but I'm sure they must have a very good reason - thay would be pre-aware of how damaging doing things like that and removing the forum can be
    I got to thinking after reading this that it may all have eventuated if WhenU had threatened some legal type stuff. Ad-Aware Plus has saved me too many times for me to give it up easily. I think give them the benefit of the doubt becuase the've certainly helped make browsing safer than it would otherwise have been. ;)

17. Mephisto

Mephisto Guest

I applaud them for even having a free version - but there scanner paid or free isn't among the top 3 Spyware scanners anymore (according to tests i have seen and my own experience). And i have never liked their attitude or their forums.

hit the road Lavasloth.

18. Hi all

Just to let you know I finally managed to update my Ad-aware SE def. After 4th attempts.

For me Ad-aware SE (free version) is very useful if you use inconjunction with other Anti softwares ... but on its own I don't think they will be effective.

So I guess I will just hang-on so long as Ad-aware SE is still free ... but if they are not free anymore then I guess I will move on or decide to buy or not.

I was on Ad-aware forum for a while trying to solve VX2 malwares ... but to no avail. Even with the help of Corrie and another forum expert Option something or whatever the person called ...

Sad if Ad-aware decide to abandon the free version if that's the way they are going ... I hope not but that's not up to me to decide.

Cheerio

Chew

P/s: I can type in the reply thread when I logged as member ... any idea what's wrong? I have Firefox 1.0.3

19. Hi ;)
    What would you say is the top three? I'm using Spybot...
    Thanks

20. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

That depends on if it's free or paid and to my knowledge no test has been made for quite awile where all the top scanners were tested, but you can still add these two free choices:

Ad-Aware
    Microsoft AntiSpyware

I use Spy Sweeper, it has very large database (82916) and has for the last year keept me free of spy/adware, if you want try it, download here (direct download) , but the three free choices in combination should suffice. :)

21. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have been wondering where the forum had disappeared to o_O now I know it really isn't there just now. It did go offline before re:something to do with re-newal but this time it really puzzled me.

I have the plus version of Ad-aware but have installed the free version for friends who rely on it - just hope they will continue with the software but sad to know the support may not be there :'(

Maybe a good time to make my decision to install the Microsoft AS to try in case I have to install this on friends' computers instead as I would need to know how it works but have always dithered about my install.

I can stop trying to get to the forum now as I was going to check everyday to see if it was a forum update which was going on rather long.

22. Corrine

Corrine Spyware Fighter

Wow! Thank you for the kind words about Team Lavasoft -- that is, the volunteers who worked the Lavasoft Support Forums. We did what we could to help the users of Ad-Aware, whether they were home or corporate users or regardless of whether they used the Plus, Pro or Personal version.

Other than Plus & Pro users of Ad-Aware who can get email support, we do not know what will be happening. However, there are a number of ASAP member sites that have stepped up to the plate to provide a place for users to get help with Ad-Aware. Subratam has had an Ad-Aware support forum since he opened the Kill Spyware site. Help is available at http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=26

(As I know Subratam and other members of his site consider Wilders "family", I hope it is ok with the Wilders' Staff that I posted that referral link.)

23. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Corrine great to see you posting here :) Sorry to read that things have gone like this for the support forum :'( hopefully the product will continue with the support link you have posted. Thanks for helping me to understand why I could not find the forum.

24. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Corrine,

Thanks very much for your posting, I very much appreciate that. Ofcourse we know Subratam here :)
    Regards,

Gerard

25. BlueZannetti

Corrine,

Absolutely no problems with the referral link. Help to the end-users is the goal, wherever that help may be provided. The quicker users can find the way, the better.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.