Launching ATI from Windows Task Scheduler.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Shieber,

Even more strange when it hits two computers.:rolleyes:

2. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce Mahnke,
    Thanks for this explananation.
    This tutorial is very well done and useful.
    I copied and saved it for future use.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can manually set it to "2" via Folder option in Explorer (select Do NOt Show Hidden) -- that's pretty normal. Or to "1" by selecting (Show hidden). It's the reg value that controls that feature for the current user.

But for it to refuse to be set to "1" is unusual. That malware (or overly protective seciruty software) might be affecting two machines belonging to one person isn't unusual. Quite often if malware gets on one, it gets on the other either over a network or by sharing removable disks and also similarlly the same secruity software gets used on diff machines owned by the same person.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Yes it is. I agree with shieber that something unusual most likely caused the problem. If in fact a malware/virus caused it you may lose the ability to see hidden files again. Something you might want to monitor. Even though the Registry change worked I’m not convinced the root cause was addressed.

BTW: If setting up a task with the Windows scheduler gives you a problem by insisting on a password and you don't use one you might want to look at this:
    http://www.yabfog.com/wp/2005/10/06/scheduled_tasks_running_tasks_without_a_

I have used this with Win XP Home successfully but have not tried it on Win XP Pro.

Thank you for the kind words,
    Bruce

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    I just wrote my Windows Scheduled Task with the underneath syntax in the ''Run'' field and when I try to launch it, nothing happens. Is there a faulty script somewhere,like innapppropriate spacing, etc...?

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe\script:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\Truelmage\Scripts\17C8245C-E42A-475C-A0DF-7DB15A1443EB.tib.tis"

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. shieber

I think your problem is at least the fact that the syntax is incorrect. It should have this syntax -- note the direction of the "/"s and "\"s -- also note the use of quotation marks:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\12B4EF39-C27B-490D-A954-A4D917F2F793.tib.tis"

7. Bruce Mahnke

Shieber is correct. There are also spaces that need to be included. Check every character.

Yes, there are errors in the path as entered. Perhaps you can copy and paste from this posting. I have included your script name in it.

Currently as entered:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe\script:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\Truelmage\Scripts\17C8245C-E42A-475C-A0DF-7DB15A1443EB.tib.tis"

Revised path:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe" /script: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\17C8245C-E42A-475C-A0DF-7DB15A1443EB.tib.tis"

8. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    I copied/pasted and tried both of your syntax as follow:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe" /script: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\17C8245C-E42A-475C-A0DF-7DB15A1443EB.tib.tis"

It still doesn't launch for neither one.
    Thank you.

9. Bruce Mahnke

I’ve noticed one thing that may be preventing you from installing the script. Looking at the screen shot you posted in post #5 I see that you had the following script at that time:
    17C8245C-E42A-475C-A0DF-7DB15A1443EB.tib.tis

In post #6 I provided a procedure for applying the script. You replied that in testing it you used that same script (post #33) and it didn’t work. This suggests to me that you didn’t exactly follow the procedure. In that I can no longer edit post #6, I will once again post it here (I have made minor revisions to it). Note in particular item #1.

Run a True Image Home v.10 task from Windows Scheduled Tasks in WinXP

1. Create a new task in TI-10 and set it to Do not start automatically.
    2. Exit out of TI-10.
    3. Start Notepad (Start > Run, type in notepad, press Enter) then minimize it.
    4. Copy the following expression then maximize Notepad and paste this expression to it:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe" /script: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\[Enter Script Name.tib.tis]"
    (Note the two spaces in the above path – top line)

5. Minimize Notepad.

6. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts and open the Scripts folder. Here you will find your script file. Highlight the new script and right-click. Select Properties. Highlight the white box. With the curser in the box right click and choose Select All. With the expression highlighted right-click and select Copy.

7. Open Notepad that you had minimized. Look for the entry [Enter Script Name.tib.tis] and delete/erase all of this including the brackets. This will now in part will look like this - …\TrueImage\Scripts\". Put the curser between the back slash and the quotation mark. Right-click and do a paste. Save the Notepad file somewhere. Name it anything that you like (it will have a .txt extension by default). As an example (this is mine, your script file name will be different) but it will have this general form:

“C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe” /script: “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\DC36F428-1C0F-4283-A1C6-6B54FCB7F4F5.tib.tis”

8. Open the Notepad file and find the expression (it will be very long). Go to Edit then Select All. Right-click and do a Copy. Minimize the Notepad screen.

9. Open Windows Scheduled Tasks and select Add Scheduled Task.

10. Start the wizard and at the screen where you are to select a program click on Acronis True Image Home to highlight it and press Next. Change the name if you wish and select the update frequency that you want. Press Next. When you get to the screen that has a white box (Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish) check the box and press Finish.

11. This will take you to a screen that has a box named Run and a path will be highlighted. Delete that entry which leaves only a flashing curser. When there, right-click and select paste. Click Apply then OK.

You’re done. You can save or delete the Notepad file as you wish.

Revised 2/21/2009

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce Mahnke,
    I created a new Acronis task which generated a new script file that I included in the underneath pasted command:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe" /script: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\91D17031-3652-4693-A5CC-9FC161F00786.tib.tis''

It still does not launch.Is there a faulty syntax detail that you can see?
    Thank you.

11. shieber

You might try thoroughly uninstalling ATI and reinstalling for all users and starting fron scratch.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the OS and work up from there. It sounds like something has goten terribly mucked up on your machine and it will probably take longer to find it than to just bite the bullet and start over.

If you have a historical sequence of backups, one that is old enough might be useful, assuming that; things weren't mucked up at the time the backup was made.

12. Bruce Mahnke

Hello babac,

I see nothing wrong with the path that you entered. As shieber stated (he is very knowledgeable}, uninstalling TrueImage 10 and re-installing it might be a viable option.

The challenge now is to determine if its a TrueImage problem or an issue with the Windows Task Scheduler. Within TrueImage are you able to create an image (.tib) using your new script? If you can I doubt that its a TI problem.

In the procedure that I wrote I realize that it is very detailed. This was perhaps over-kill for many forum users. Originally this was created to help a friend that needed that kind of detail.

Attached Files:

13. Bruce Mahnke

Babac,

If you would like to test this some more I would suggest trying this to see if the Windows Task Scheduler is working correctly. This should open TrueImage when the task is run. If it does open it the Win Task Scheduler is OK. The issue then comes back to getting the correct path installed in the Windows scheduler. This is only a test and when completed the scheduled task should be deleted. The following screen shots (5) illustrate setting up a test case. Apparantly there is a limit of five attachments that can be used. I initially had six so hopefully this is clear.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

14. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce and Shieber,
    I know pretty well how to use Windows Task Scheduler which I'm a regular user for other tasks .It works fine and my current problem is caused by something else.I tested Bruce's command on my laptop and it does not work either.

Anyhow, I decided to quit trying to launch ATI from WTS as I now notice that it does not wake up my computer from standby.(Yes ,I thicked off the box to wake up the computer).

I'm going to use another software to wake up my computer (WOSB)and then use the ATI scheduler to finish the job.This combo was checked and it works great.
    Thank you for your help.

15. eben

eben Registered Member

Hi Bruce,

I'm trying to script this as well, using TrueImage Home in Vista 64bit.
    I've modified the paths to the appropriate locations, and created a batch file with your syntax.
    When I run the batch file, I get no errors but cannot see any activity to indicate it's working, either.
    No archive files are created in my destinatin folder and I can't see anything in task manager to indicate it's working.

How can I tell this script is working?
    Are there any problems with running it in Vista?

Thanks very much,

Eben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.